Chapter Five

ALARIC

ALARIC

As I watched out my large window into the distance, I sipped my tea knowing that this whole land was mine. It has been a few days since I’ve visited Philip’s flower shop. Something about the way he was acting when I arrived was… off. I know that I have a superior aura, so of course he would be nervous. 

However, I’ve seen my fair share of liars and cheats. I know when someone is lying. A lump forms in their throat. They struggle to talk. And their eyes look everywhere except at the person they’re lying to. 

For now, I’ll leave Philip be. The man threw dirt on me. According to the Royal Constitution of The Kingdom of Magnoline Chapter 6; Section V; Clause 2.3, defiling any form of the highness’ clothing is an offense. Though, I’m not a stickler for rules. Only when they apply to me do I care.

“Alaric.” Mother said from behind me. I turned and saw her walking towards me.

“Mother.” I replied back. 

“You have that meeting with the Secretary of Foreign Affairs later. And then there’s your interview with CNN regarding your war on roses.” She said.

“Yes, mom. I know. It’s in my calendar.” I explained.

“Good! So what are we drinking?” Mom asked, picking up a tea cup and pouring herself some. 

“Chamomile.” I replied.

“Ooh, goody! I used to drink this with your father when he had breaks in between his meetings.”

I was distracted from the window for a while until I decided to turn back. I once again looked out into the distance but then looked downwards into the grand gardens. My life was going great until all of the sudden, I saw something that irks my eyes.

“Mom!” I quickly said. “There’s a peasant in our gardens!” I said.

Mom looked into the gardens. “That’s Philip.” She said.

“Mom! There’s a Philip in our garden!” I said with urgency. 

“Oh, stop that, Alaric! We needed a gardener and he was the one that I liked.” She said. 

“But mom! It’s Philip! The guy who threw dirt on me. The one with attitude and left that voicemail for me. Do you remember?” I asked.

“Calm down, Alaric. I spoke to Philip and we agreed that you two would not interact. Unless you decide to go up to him and talk to him yourself. He’s going to be around for a while. So get used to seeing him.” Mom explained.