Chapter Sixteen

PHILIP

PHILIP

I didn't expect the video of me and the king to spread so quickly all over the internet. I was immediately recognized as soon as I stepped into my apartment building. Neighbors that I never knew existed were greeting me outside their doors.

Of course, Chloe and Louis were the first to call me and sort of bombard me with messages. Most of their texts were just them congratulating me and the king for getting much closer. Seeing as how they didn't know we were this close, I'll bet they're probably shitting themselves.

As I entered the kitchen for my next day of work, several of the cooks winked at me. I giggled at this and just grabbed a snack and left for the tool shed.

After setting everything up, I began to get to work. I fixed up a stone path and refixed the water fountain that I meant to fix up a while back.

I turned up to the window and saw Alaric on the phone talking to someone. He sensed me looking at him and he looked down. A small smile spread on his face and he waved at me. I waved back to him.

"I knew it!" A voice yelled. I jumped and almost dropped a large stone on my foot. I turned and saw the former Queen marching towards me. I was nervous that she was mad that I kissed her son, supreme leader of the kingdom.

"Your highness!" I bowed to her.

"I had my suspicions that you and Alaric may have had something brewing. But I pushed those aside because there was no possible way you two would have dated. Not after your not-so pleasant meeting!" She said.

"I'm sorry, ma'am!" I bowed to her. "I hope that my relationship to the king will not cause any controversy!"

"Oh stop that, Philip!" The queen said. I heard her chuckle and I looked up and saw her giggling. "Truth is, I'm glad you and Alaric found each other." She said.

"Really?" I asked.

"But of course. It was bound to happen. No two people can hate each other and not fall for each other. I've seen this before. My theories were confirmed when I saw that video yesterday." She said.

"So it's not a problem that the king has a relationship with a guy, let alone a commoner?" I asked.

"I have no problem with it. And Alaric doesn't seem to care. And if it makes you feel better, the king's approval rating has been rising. He definitely needed that after his law on roses." She patted my back. "You did good." She muttered.

Her eyes were teary. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

"I'm fine. It's just nice to see Alaric smiling." She pulled me in for a hug.

"I catch myself smiling sometimes too. Alaric definitely has a heart." I replied.

"I'll be leaving you now. Thank you, Philip. I don't think you know how much Alaric feels for you." She said.