Chapter Fifteen

ALARIC

ALARIC

Once my meeting ended, I exited and met up with my mother in the throne room. She was looking outside, downwards to where the gardens are at. I approached behind her as she sipped her tea.

"What's your opinion on Philip?" She asked me, not turning around.

"Why? Are you planning on firing him?" I asked back.

"Hmm, no. I just want to know your opinion on him. I know you two didn't start off on good terms." She said.

"I have no opinion on Philip." I said, lying through my teeth. "He's a gardener and I'm the head of the country. I will not focus my time on him."

"You sure?" She asked, suddenly turning around and having a smirk on their face.

"I am sure, mother. What is this about? I feel like you're interrogating me." I said.

"No reason. Just asking." She said. She turned back to the window and looked down. I joined her near the window and looked down at Philip. He was working away, digging a hole into the ground.

Philip was working tirelessly. His sleeves were rolled up and his shirt and pants were dirty. My eyes were wandering all over his body, wondering what he looks like underneath. I've only seen glances of his skin. But his entire body unclothed is something that I've been finding myself imagining.

"He's a handsome man, isn't he?" Mother said.

"He sure is..." I muttered out.

"Mm? So you admit it? He is an attractive person." Mother said. Fuck!

"Yes, he is. He certainly has features that are quite... desirable."

"Desirable enough for a king to fall in love with?" She teased me.

"I'm not looking for a relationship right now, mother. I have other things to focus on." I replied to her.

"That's exactly what your father said until he met me. Trust me, you'll find love in the most random moments. Just know that when you find it, don't let go." She said. She sat her cup of tea on the table and walked away, leaving me to watch Philip alone.

There was a small smile on my face as I looked at Philip. Something about him just brings me a small amount of joy. That's not something I want to let go. Honestly, I've felt like I've been becoming a better person because of the joy that Philip brings me.

The next day rolled around. I descended the stairs and ran into Philip.

"Oh, good morning, your highness!" He bowed.

"Good morning, Philip. How was your day?" I asked him.

"Pretty good. I finally found a place for us to have our next date at." He said.

"Oh, really? When is it?" I asked.

"Today, if you want." He had a smile on his face. I checked my phone and saw that there wasn't anything on my agenda for the rest of the day.