Chapter Eleven

ALARIC

ALARIC

The next few weeks in the castle had an awkward aura. Whenever Philip was around, I would excuse myself out of the room. If he was in the gardens, I was inside. If he was in the castle, I was out doing business. And it doesn't help that my mom has been buddying up with Philip. Meaning sometimes he'll be in her room.

My mother hasn't been blind to this. She pointed out our weird tension. At first, she thought that we were just ignoring each other because we don't get along. But slowly, I think her opinion is changing. I see her glancing at both of us sometimes, like the pieces are falling together in her head.

Ever since our kiss, I've been wondering what it means to me. I never wanted to settle down with someone. It just never appealed to me. I was fine with ruling the country on my own. But Philip's kiss still tingles my lips. I catch myself touching my lips and feeling an absence of his lips.

Restless nights have left me needing relief. I've been having urges that I haven't had since I was a young teen. I refuse to give into temptation. However, when I picture Philip's hand, my urges get stronger.

And a more recent thing that I've seen myself do is wait for Philip to arrive at the castle. Sometimes, I'll wake up early and look out my window, waiting for Philip to walk into the courtyard. Other times, I'll be in the dining room and look through the window of the kitchen and see him enter through the back.

I haven't been sure of Philip himself and how he feels about us. He himself seems to be trying to ignore me. I'm guessing he's figured out what we did the night of the ball.

"Your highness!" My advisor called out to me.

"Hmm? Yes?" I asked. I was looking outside and watching the clouds go by. July is here already.

"Do you care about the status of your cousin?" He asked.

"Screw that brat. Can we end this? I need to be somewhere." I said. My advisor huffed. He knows he can send me an email about this and make his job easier. I think he likes that he gets to talk face-to-face with the king.

"Sure. I'll send over the rest." He said. I shut my book and got up and went to find my mother.

I walked to her room and heard her giggling in there. I knocked on the door and walked in without waiting to see if she wanted me in or not.

"Mom?" I asked. There was my mom, sitting on her tea-table set with none other than Philip with her. I turned away and acted like I was interested in something else.

"Oh, Alaric. I'm having tea with Philip. Want to join us?" She asked.

An idea popped up. It's time I face the music. No more beating around the bush. Just look him in the eye.

"Sure." I replied. Philip looked shocked and scooted over. Mother pulled out a chair for me and allowed me to sit.

This isn't awkward. Having tea with the guy I haven't been able to get my mind off of.