Chapter 7

Letting out a huff of utter annoyance, Omar ran a hand through his hair. That conversation with Andrea hadn’t gone as he hoped, pretty much the opposite. But did he really expect to have a rational dialogue with the highly irrational teenage brat who just so happened to be pregnant? At some point she actually did make him kind of happy, but just the mere thought of her now made him want to run for the hills.

He took a few minutes to compose his anger and then made a move towards the stairs to exit the Dos Ramos home, that is, until a door from the opposite wing opened. Emilio and Dolores appeared seconds after, and Omar cursed inaudibly at his stroke of bad luck. He had been hoping to get a clean getaway, but that hope went straight out the metaphorical window.

Dolores paused in her strides, surprised to see him. “Omar, hijo. What a pleasant surprise. Como estas?” she beamed warmly, before moving forward to give him a small hug and air kiss. She was the only nice person out of the whole family, the only one he didn’t loathe.

Omar smiled tightly. “Estoy bien, gracias por preguntar. Luciendo hermosa como siempre (I’m doing well, thanks for asking. Looking beautiful as always),” he replied in Spanish effortlessly, making Emilio’s eyebrows rise slightly in amazement. It was thanks to his father for making him learn over seven languages, and Spanish just happened to be one of them.

“Aren’t you full of surprises,” Dolores said with a giggle. “Were you here to visit Andrea?”

He nodded his head, glancing at Emilio who was subtly eyeing him with curiosity. “Yes. Just checking up on the mother of my child, as I should,” he said and then casually slipped his hands into his jeans.

Emilio nodded in approval. “As you should. I trust everything is going well, no?” he prodded, his cyan eyes narrowing at the younger man, making his gulp softly.

Far from it actually. “Of course! I’ll be taking her to her doctor’s appointment on Wednesday, for sure,” he told him coolly, and mentally patted himself on the back for not cowering back in fear. 

“Would you like to join us for breakfast?” Dolores asked, her lips stretched into an infectious smile. For her age, she was still youthfully gorgeous. It didn’t come as a shocker to him that the Dos Ramos children had gotten their looks from her, Ximena in particular though. 

He shook his head. “I wouldn’t want to impose-,” he wanted to decline but Emilio cut him off.

“Nonsense. We will be family, after all. Join us, I insist,” he stated without a trace of kindness but rather a persuasive veneer. He was a bully, and would never take no for an answer. Omar smiled at them and allowed them to lead the way to the dining table. It wasn’t like he had much to do anyways. Weekends were reserved for leisure activities.

He took a seat as far away from his future father-in-law as possible, and soon Salvador joined them. He greeted his parents before his eyes landed on the imposter at the table. “So, you’ll be joining us for breakfast? Great,” he snorted and sat opposite Omar, flashing him a brief smirk. The maids began to bring in the various dishes that the chef had prepared for breakfast.

“Good morning mum and dad,” Andrea sang in a light tone, all smiles…that is, until she saw Omar at the table. “What the hell are you doing here?” she snarled and Dolores shot her a glare.

“Andrea! That is no way to speak to your fiancé!” she admonished, but Andrea’s sharp look didn’t falter. Instead, she rolled her eyes and took the chair next to her brother’s and leaned closer to him. “What’s this douche doing here?” she whispered to him but he just shrugged nonchalantly.