Chapter 18

The two sisters sat across from each other, but neither one of them made a move to speak, much less acknowledge each other’s presence. Andrea kept twaddling with her fingers with her eyes focused on them like she was partaking in some strenuous exercise. Her lip was tilted downwards, a frown etched on her upper features. It was pretty clear that this as not as easy as she thought it would be.

On the other hand, Ximena was composed, one leg over the other as she had her arms crossed against her chest. She was still wearing a work-related outfit, having not gotten the chance to change due to her sister’s sudden arrival. Adriano had excused himself as soon as he got the gist of what was going on, and had gone to take a shower and gave instructions to the chef to prepare dinner for four, but to be served a bit later. It was pretty obvious to both him and Omar that this little visit would take a while.

Adriano leaned over to Omar, who was standing right by his side. “Do you think that they’re gonna talk or…?” he whispered cautiously, desperately trying to read the situation as far as he possibly could. Having been around this family for long enough, he knew just how unpredictable the Dos Ramos women were, and from experience too. 

Omar shrugged nonchalantly. It was getting late, and he really needed to get in a good night’s sleep since he had a flight tomorrow, although at night. He could never bring himself to sleep in a plane, something about not wanting to wake up to a suicidal bomber or a failing engine. Sure, his family had a private jet, but Amir had made it explicitly clear that it would only be used at his leisure, making it off-limits. But there were exceptions made for Hakim, and only Hakim. 

“I just wish they’d act civil and get this over with. It’s gone on for far too long, and this needs to stop,” he said gruffly before walking into the middle of the room. “Okay, you two need to stop this nonsense and talk this out,” he steered out in exasperation, then gave Andrea pointed look. “Andrea do you have something to say?”

Andrea peeked up from where she was sitting, her big doe eyes mirroring fake confusion. Omar’s look morphed into a glare and she sighed. “Okay, I do have something to say. Ximena, I’m very sorry for what I said to you. I was out of line, childish and it was plain cruel. I didn’t mean it-,”

Ximena laughed bitterly. “You sure ‘bout that, hermana (sister)? It seemed to me like you were basically accusing me of wanting to smash your fiancé,” she worded slowly with a sarcastic lilt in her voice. Omar felt ice coldness flood his veins, and from the corner of his eye he saw Adriano do a double take. Oh shit. 

“What did you just say?” Adriano burst, his deep voice ricocheting of the walls, making both Omar and Andrea wince at the sharpness of his tone. 

Ximena looked back at him; her lips curled up viciously. “Imagine how scandalized I felt when she said those shameless words to me,” she said calmly before focusing on Andrea once more. “I wonder, what is it that had gotten into you to have said something so absurd, not to mention, callous?”

Shit. Shit. Shit. If only Omar hadn’t suggested she apologize, maybe he should have had her do it on the phone. Adriano and him had only just smoothed out their friendship, but by the looks of it, all those efforts were about to go to naught. Adriano was in front of him in a flash, his jade eyes narrowed and stance plenty intimidating. “Pedrad, what’s this mierda I’m hearing?” he queried, not exactly accusatory but definitely menacing. 

He held his hands up to pacify his friend. “Listen, man, I actually found out about this today as well so please bear with me. And before you start pointing fingers, I didn’t make at pass at your wife after that incident at your engagement party. That was the first and last time that happened, so don’t get your knickers in a twist. I would never do that to you,” Omar stated, words careful but his heart was hammering so hard that he was sure Adriano could hear it.