Chapter 28

The time that Andrea had been waiting for since entering high school had finally arrived. Albeit not having previously envisioned herself as seven months pregnant at the time, her senior year was finally coming to an end in just two weeks. But since she had left the academy, there was no chance of her attending prom, which somehow felt like a huge punch to the gut.

She had made her bed and now she must lie in it.

However, on the morning of what should have been her senior prom day, she received a text that made her sleep induced state quickly transition into over-the-top elation.

Find a pretty dress, get a makeover. You may not be able to go to prom but that doesn’t mean the night has to be boring. See you at 7 sharp. Until then, princess.

~Omar.

She squealed so loud that it made her parents and brother rush into her room with immediacy. “What’s going on? Did your water break?” Salvador asked, his hair sticking out in all directions and shirtless with his pajama bottoms on.

Andrea shook her head and hopped off the bed, with a little difficulty. “No! I think that Omar just asked me to prom!” she shrieked in excitement, and her father scoffed.

“And that’s why you woke us up at 6.30 in the morning for this shit?” Emilio grumbled, unenthused. Dolores slapped his shoulder for cursing in front of his children. “If that’s the case, then I’m going back to bed,” he yawned and then shuffled out of the room.

Dolores, with a supportive smile went over to hug her daughter. “Aw, that is so kind of him. I know that you’d been looking forward to prom and since he is the main reason why you can’t go, it’s only fair that he makes up for it. I’m so happy for you, amor!” she gushed and patted her daughter’s back.

Salvador rolled his eyes. “I don’t get why girls have meltdowns over prom. It’s just one stupid night where most teenagers lose their virginities-,” he stopped immediately when his mother gave him a sharp look. “Not saying I’d do that, but that’s still the truth. If it wasn’t for my girl being on my butt to take, he, I’d have totally skipped it to hang out with the boys.”

Their mother pointed at the door. “If all you’re going to bring is negativity to the equation then you might as well leave, young man. The door is that way,” she said, and he held his hands up before leaving the room quietly. “Okay, I guess we will be having a fun packed day ahead of us. I’d thought you’d go on with lessons, but I’ll tell your tutors not to come. After breakfast, we’re calling up a stylist and make up artist just for you,” she smiled and kissed Andrea’s forehead.

It all sounded fun, to have a big day planned but it didn’t sound fun for it to just be the two of them alone. “Can I invite Aliyah and maybe Ximena and Chelsea? It would be more fun,” she suggested. After contemplating over it for some seconds, Dolores nodded.

“Sure, why not. Make it a girl’s day out, or in. The more the merrier,” Dolores beamed before taking her leave. Jumping back onto her bed, Andrea proceeded to text the three ladies whom she liked spending time with. Aliyah would be busy with her own preparation for prom, but she said she’d be down to hang out with Andrea. After all, who would turn down a free dress and makeup.