Chapter 12

"Are you sure you guys are okay? I can come and check up on you," Ximena asked, worried about the well being of her younger siblings. Her nose even contorted to mimic her true emotions, as the phone screen showed her face.

Andrea laughed nervously. She wasn't very good at lying, and she had reassured her older sister that everything would be fine. It was almost six, and downstairs Salvador was preparing for the party he and his friends would be having. He had said it would be a small get-together, and she had her fingers crossed it would remain that way. After all, Salvador couldn't have more than three friends, could he?

She made a nervous sound. "Mena, we're fine I promise. You should take it easy, not to get worked up so easily. Don't cause unnecessary stress to my future niece," she said with a small smile.

Ximena laughed. "So sure about that, aren't you? Well, you should also take good care of my future nephew. Go to bed early okay, tomorrow's school. Tell the same to that sly fox, Chava," she replied sweetly and blew an air kiss, which Andrea pretended to catch and place on her cheek. After their goodbyes, she ended her call and put her phone down.

Andrea had decided that she wouldn't join the event downstairs for very many reasons. This was all on Salvador so if he got caught, which he probably would, he would take the fall alone. She also had a queasy feeling since morning and had the urge to regurgitate all the food she'd eaten. It wasn't that she didn't like it, but just the thought of certain food stuffs had her feeling queasy.

A few rowdy voices could be heard downstairs a few minutes later. Just after that, some hollers and music set at a moderate volume followed. So it has begun, she thought with her tongue clucking in displeasure. Sitting on her bed, she decided to study some flashcards in preparation for her upcoming lessons. Andrea always liked to study ahead and it was how she'd managed to stay on top of her class till date.

About an hour elapsed but instead of the soft music, it had steadily increased and now she could hear even more voices. It almost sounded like there were a hundred people downstairs. Abandoning her notes, Andrea rose from her bed and went through her door to the railing of the stairs. From above, she could see the entire bottom floor filled with numerous bodies. Her eyes almost fell out of her sockets when she saw that more people were showing up.

Bounding down the stairs with rushed steps, Andrea squeezed and pulled between the sweaty and alcohol infested bodies of the semi- or fully inebriated teenagers. She looked around for her brother, but he was nowhere to be found. In her pursuit, she bumped into a few familiar faces who greeted her with much enthusiasm that she couldn't return for the time being.

It seemed that Salvador had bought beers illegally, since he was not yet 18, and had even stolen some liquor from their father's priced collection in the basement. The beats were painfully loud and they danced around her eardrums almost tauntingly. But even after searching almost half of the bottom floor, she still hadn't found him.

Going into the kitchen, she found some persons talking and drinking in there. After giving each and every one of them a nasty look, she went over to the fridge and retrieved a bottle of sparkling water, and downed half of the contents at one go. Her phone began to vibrate in her back pocket, so she took it out and answered without looking.

"Hello?"

"Andy, why didn't you tell me you and your brother were hosting an epic party? Puta, you could have at least sent me an invite!" Aliyah's voice burst through the ear piece and almost damaged Andrea's hearing.

Andrea winced. "What? How do you know about that?" she asked loudly, the music reverberating through the walls.

Aliyah tsked. "One of your brother's friends, Joash, was it, posted it all over social media and invited everybody about half an hour ago. You just had to host this kick ass party when I'm stuck at home babysitting my little brother, Eres," she snarled in displeasure.