Chapter 14

The whole night had been restless for Omar. He hadn’t managed to fall asleep until way later into the night, making sure to keep ears attentive towards Andrea. He had even gone as far as to check up on her a couple of times, before exhaustion had overcome him. The next morning, he found himself being woken up by an angelic voice, which he had somewhere heard in his dreams.

“Omar, wake up. I need you to take me home,” the symphonic voice said and he shifted on the bed, and groaned out loud before slowly opening his eyes. He was greeted by the sight of a hunched over and smiling Andrea. “Wake up, sleepy head,” she laughed.

Still a bit confused from sleeping too deeply, he propped himself up on his elbow and rubbed his eyes. “What time is it?” he asked, his voice very much still raspy, and oddly appealing.

“Must be around five, maybe six. I usually wake up around this time. I couldn’t check because I don’t know where my phone is. I must have dropped it last night.”

He nodded his head, before throwing the covers off his body and rising from the bed. He began to stretch his tangled muscles. Andrea’s intrigued eyes followed his every move, but they seemed to be particularly interested in his abs, which were on full display since he had gone to bed in only his briefs.

He passed her an amused smirk. “Like what you see?” he mused, and she looked away in embarrassment. He chuckled at how cute she looked all shy and flustered.

“I-I’ll be waiting downstairs,” she squeaked with a stutter and pivoted on her heels, making a mad dash for the door. Just before she shut the door, she gave him a quick once over and disappeared out of sight. Omar shook his head, fascinated, and the proceeded to his closet where he dressed in a t-shirt and joggers, plus pair of takkies. He quickly went over to the bathroom to brush his teeth, moved his hair around a bit and left the room with his keys in hand and phone in his pocket.

He found Andrea seated in the living room, staring at nothing in particular. “Are you sure it’s a good idea for you to have lessons today, after…what happened yesterday?” he trailed off in concern. He would have preferred for her to have stayed with him a little while longer, even if it meant he’d be missing out on work.

She shook her head. “If I do that, my tutors will notify my parents and they’ll start asking questions which will lead to Salvador getting into a lot of trouble,” she said. It amazed him that she was willing to stick up for her brother, even though he had been so reckless last night.

“Okay, then. Let’s get going. Wouldn’t want you to be late now, would we?” he said coolly, and they both went over to the garage. 

                                                                                     ***

Andrea opened up the front door and walked in, with Omar right behind her. Salvador had just begun he descent down the stairs when he saw his sister. “Andrea! I was so worried about you. I tried calling you last night but you weren’t picking up. Look, I screwed up and I’m very sor-,” his didn’t get to complete his sentence because she just brushed past him without even sparing him a glance and went to her room.

Salvador stared after her and sighed. “You deserve the cold shoulder, especially after your idiocy last night,” Omar’s voice boomed in the foyer. Salvador turned to look at him, and resumed going down the stairs.

“Listen, I know that what happened is my fault-,” he again didn’t finish his words when Omar walked over to him in two large steps and grabbed him by the collar of his school blazer, and yanked him forward.