21. Midsummers

It was the day of midsummers.

Sarah picked me up from my house after 2 and drove me to hers where we ate lunch and talked.

"So I met a boy" Sarah smiles widely.

He cheeks had flushed red at the thought of him.

"Oh?" I question. "Who is this mystery man who has you smiling so much".

She laughs. "His name is Vlad... from Vienna".

Where did she find a guy named Vlad in the Outerbanks?

"Please don't tell me that's his real name" I say.

"Of course not" Sarah grins. "It's an alias".

"Oh yeah? And what's yours" I question.

"I am Valerie du Quebec" She tells me in a French accent and I can't help but laugh.

"So then Valerie. Tell me about this Vlad guy".

I was intrigued about their relationship and happy that she has found another guy because I can't stand Topper anymore.

At this point, any guy is better for her than him.

"Well we went to Chapel Hill together" Sarah tells me.

"What for?".

"A treasure hunt of sorts".

I laugh at the immaturity.

We spent the next few hours talking about her feelings and the mystery man until it turned 4.

The party began at 6 so Sarah went to take a shower while I did my makeup. It was plain and simple but more than what I normally did. When Sarah came out of the shower, she put on an oversized shirt and some shorts before joining me at the vanity to do her own makeup.

I watched as Sarah curls her hair with a curling iron before tying two front strands back. 

She notices me staring and the corner of her lips curve. "Do you want me to curl your hair as well?".

I nod and she giggles, moving behind me and taking small sections into the curler at a time. 

When she was done, I thank her and she gives me a light peck on my cheek before walking into her walk-in closet as I follow behind.

To be honest, I almost forgot what my dress looked like with everything that has happened over the last few days.

More like who happened in my life.

I still can't forget it.

JJ.

Would've thought...

Sarah takes her dress out of the cover and I do the same. We both smile at the same time and squeal. 

I forgot how beautiful this dress was.

Blue.

Like...

The ocean

The sky

And his eyes.

I only thought of one pair of eyes.

And yet they weren't JJ's.