Chapter 7 Flashbacks

A feeling as if a ray of light lifts the body.

A deep stab of memory.

When the human mind is haunted by a flashback, the soul blasts all truths free.

Distorted in time and with a storm of swirling thoughts, the body freezes.

And the memories must be pieced together like a puzzle.

Gem's hungover body is not merely subjected to the physical effects of his lifestyle that day.

His psyche gives him an unforgettable glimpse into the spheres of his unconscious.

Flashbacks tear the ground from under his feet.

And he can only extract his loss from reality.

"Gem?" a soft voice rings out in the hallway of their shared apartment, "Gem, are you awake yet?" the voice asks as Fourth sets down grocery bags in the kitchen.

And finally, Fourth can pick up his cell phone again.

And he sees so many different, stirring signs on his display.45 missed calls from Gem.
44 from last night.

He probably only tried once today.

Fourth takes a deep breath.

And he doesn't even want to look at the 12 messages he wrote him yesterday.

Not now.

Too upsetting.

And suddenly, a new message pops up on his display.

An unfamiliar number that he should quickly memorize.

'Fourth, it's Poseidon. He can't wait to pick you up again.'

And Fourth can't contain his grin as he saves Mark's number under Poseidon in his phone.

And Gem's arms, suddenly grabbing him from behind, give him a huge scare.

Gotcha.

Totally caught.

Gem's warmth and scent.

His strong arms wrapping around him.

Fourth's knees soften and he feels all the messengers in his body, going crazy.

"There you are!" a booze-demolished Gem growls into Fourth's ear from behind, "I sensed you were finally home," he nuzzles his face against the crook of Fourth's neck.

And Fourth holds his breath from the intense feeling flooding him.

So fiercely does his heart pound the truth into the atmosphere.

How could he take an eternity of his love for his best friend.

This love that now wraps itself around his neck like powerful claws, suffocating him.

He wants to scream.

To break free.

To yell at Gem and hurt him.

For always playing with him.

Used him as a plaything for his platonic desires.

Fourth's heart groans and his soul places itself protectively in front of it.

"Let me go!", Fourth's voice sounds suppressed.

And Gem obeys immediately.

He might want to turn around and give him a hug.

When he woke up this morning, a sledgehammer hit his skull.

Over and over.

The throbbing pain in his head, made him want to empty his stomach contents right away.