Chapter 9

"Reiss is the true royal family." Sannes revealed as soon as they opened the door. His voice displayed utter despair and his expression was worse. Rebekah had never seen a face that conveyed so little emotion yet displayed all of them at once. He'd lost everything.

"So, the king is an impostor?" Hange questioned further but it was clear that Sannes was finished talking. He'd revealed so little and so much at the same time, it was unfathomable.

"He's done." Beka stated when the man faced the floor once again.

"No, this is just the beginning." Hange got closer to him. "Come on Sannes! I know you've got more." They tried to encourage but Sannes didn't even face them, his facial expression was like ice.

"Four eyes." Levi signalled, causing both glasses wearers to look his way. "He's not going to talk again."

"I recommend we continue with this information. We can gather that Lord Reiss is likely the one who kidnapped them, does anyone know a location?" The scientist brainstormed.

"We can discuss it once we've shared our findings with the others." Hange cut her ideas short. "Moblit, do you remember what Lord Reiss looks like?"

"Yeah, we saw him in court a few weeks ago, if my memory holds up right." Moblit agreed. "I'll make a sketch."

"You read my mind." Hange smiled at him. In a way, their short conversation stung a little for Beka, but she was still happy that Hange had made friend, just let down that it wasn't her who was reading their mind. Rebekah hardly knew her family anymore.

As soon as Moblit made the sketch, the four of them walked back upstairs and informed the group of everything they'd figured out. However, it was obvious that they'd expected bad news, they'd heard the screams of the soldiers.

"You mean the rightful heir to the throne is... Historia?" Armin questioned after they'd been informed of the gists.

"Yes, and based on that knowledge, we can assume she and Eren have been taken by Lord Reiss." Hange stated, repeating what Beka had previously said, but the doctor brushed it off, she wasn't insulted, just a little irritated that her ideas were being thieved.

"That's him." Levi stated when Moblit placed a sketch onto the wall, revealing an older man who looked to be in his late forties. His eyes did slightly resemble Historia's.

"Moblit and I will see if we can get anything out of them while we put Sannes back in his cell. But until then, this is the face of the enemy." Said the section commander before following their squad-mate back to the cells, leaving Rebekah with the strangers once again.

She was tempted to follow them but decided it was best to give Hange some space if they wanted it. Besides, she knew a thing or two about the people in the room. Connie and Sasha didn't really care about the fact she was the infamous mad scientist, Mikasa and Armin were too occupied trying to get Eren back, Jean was still shaken up by the kidnapping. And then, there was Levi, for some reason, he was the only one who paid attention to Rebekah, but it wasn't the type of attention she enjoyed. He was just waiting for her to make a mistake, trying to figure her out while she glared at him in return.

"So, Miss Zoe..." Armin began, causing the two eldest's to look in his direction.

"Doctor." She corrected. "What can I do for ya?"

"I was just wondering what you specialise in. You said you created your own gear, but you're also good at studying the human body. So I guess I'm a little curious." The blonde continued his question, something Rebekah hadn't expected from him. But he did possess a curious mind, so it wasn't too much of a shocker.