Chapter 14

Throughout her journey, Rebekah's strong grasp onto the side of the wagon never faltered, it was only when they arrived at the chapel did she actually felt safe - despite carrying explosives from the wagon. It was comforting to be back on her own two feet again instead of relying on a horse, it was more secure to trust herself rather than an animal.

"We'll need someone to trigger these when Kenny's squad is distracted." The scientist instructed, gently placing the explosives on the floor of the chapel. She didn't truly know if this was certainly the place where Eren and Historia had been kidnapped, but it was perfectly plausible.

"Moblit will do it." Hange decided. "He watched you assemble them and has a good grasp on technology." Rebekah nodded, quickly showing him how to use the weapon she had made. Moblit kept his attention solely on what she was explaining, for some reason, she had almost expected him to bring up their past conversation.

While she demonstrated the actions, Hange stumbled across what seemed to be a trapdoor, as they flipped it open, it became obvious that the two siblings had been correct in assuming that the chapel was more than it appeared to be.

"Bingo." Hange opened the trapdoor. "Hopefully the layout is as I predicted."

"These presents better pay off, considering the time we spent prepping them." Levi looked at the inventor, who simply flipped him off in return.

"They'll work if thats what your asking." She scoffed. "And there was no 'we' in prepping these explosives." She retorted. After all, it had been her to do all the work as well as cling to the cart with dear life, it was a good thing she was used to multitasking.

Levi clicked his tongue, not wanting to cause dispute before they risked their lives. Instead, he led the way through the tunnel, picking up one of the explosives with brute force. His method taking the cautious scientist by shock.

"Careful." She warned him. "Keep your hands away from the triggers." Panicked, she took it from him carefully and adjusted it so he could hold it without setting it off. Her reaction wasn't based on care, rather a desire to be victorious, the best way to do that was with a soldier as strong as Levi on her side.

"Captain." Armin announced, breaking a potential argument. "We're all set."

Rebekah took a deep breath, preparing herself for the inevitable, it was kill or be killed - she knew the rules. She'd played the game and won over and over again. However, this was her most ambitious endeavour. She'd never gone against a specialised army, never thought against people equipped with weapons as incredible as her own, never had allies.

Granted, Levi had already stated that the squad wouldn't have her back if she needed it, but she didn't feel as though that was entirely true. The support she had shown toward the squad was undeniable, she promised weapons and safety, if Levi was smart then he would allow her to fulfil those promises.

"All right then, is everyone here ready?" The captain asked, prepared in case any of them wanted to preserve their humanity. "We're all about to dirty our hands." When there was no response from the squad, Levi nodded his head. "Guess that's a yes."

Leading the group, he jumped down the trapdoor, receiving the explosives and passing them down to the bottom floor. The squad followed, Rebekah holding her guns tight and revealing the side mirrors she had attached to them so she could see from all angles.

"Does our enemy have those?"  Jean asked, worried slightly.

"Yes." The doctor answered quietly, hating to admit their slight disadvantage. "But they won't have any use once we're covered by the smoke signals. Don't worry, I've considered this. Every aspect of this fight is in our favour." It was mostly true, other than the threat of the unknown. Titans were evermore unpredictable, recently, new information about the beasts seemed to emerge daily.