Chapter 11

Rebekah liked to gamble, usually they'd turn out well in her favour, causing a taunting look to plaster across her face, much like the smirk she was giving Levi when Jean returned with Marlowe and Hitch, who seemed to be cooperating. Although Jean looked slightly dazed with a nasty lump on his head, he was pleased that he'd found new allies amongst the scouts' persecution.

"Don't look at me like that." Levi ordered the doctor, who lightly laughed in response.

"Relax Levi, I told you that you could trust me." She replied, crossing her arms in her small victory. "But I can't take all the credit. Jean, did it work?" She asked the boy, pretending that she wasn't pulling the strings to begin with.

"How did you..." Jean wondered, soon reminding himself that Rebekah was Hanges sister, likely a genius beyond logic. "They're on our side, I tested them. We can trust them."

"What a smart boy." Beka complimented before locking eyes with the MPs. "As for you two, I'm glad we've come to an agreement. So, what exactly do you have to offer?" Her way of speaking clearly indicated that Beka was almost heartless, she never referred to the other soldiers by their names, they were simply just pawns that she could move into play when she desired.

"We'll take you to the least manned outpost." Hitch proposed. "That ought to get you somewhere."

"There's a one not to far from here, they may seem prepared but don't be fooled, they're all just recruits." Marlowe interjected.

Nodding, the scouts trusted the two MPs and followed them to the outpost, confirming their trust when they saw younger soldiers drinking alcohol and chatting. Their guns weren't on their person, neither was their ODM gear, which was stacked neatly beside one of their tents. Clearly, the scouts has overestimated their foe.

"I thought you said they'd look prepared?" Rebekah scoffed, glaring at a few of the recognisable soldiers. "Seems to me, that these guys thought this was a social gathering rather than an outpost."

"Those were the orders." Marlowe replied, trying to defend his miscalculation.

"We'll handle things from here. Get back to your squad before they're suspicious." Said the captain, relieving the two from getting into anymore trouble. But before they left, he had one last message. "Marlowe, Hitch, thank you. We're grateful."

Irritated, Rebekah rolled her eyes. She'd been helping Levi and the scouts for days, and not once had she received any thanks for her hard work and endangerment of her own life. Though, it did make sense, she wasn't doing them a favour, she was simply working for her own benefit, not truly because of the scouts - not even for her own family, which she did feel slightly guilty for.

"I think it's best we lead with a distraction." Rebekah began to strategise, her main role in the squad was formulating plans and aiding the execution. The squad would appreciate it more if she wasn't so demanding. "Those soldiers are already out of their depth, if we through them in a stressful situation, I doubt they'll be able to formulate a counterattack. Of course, we can always send a stealth attack after the distraction, but i don't even think that much effort is necessary to bring down the enemy." She observed them through the tree line, smiling at their naivety.

"Its a solid plan." Armin agreed. "We send Jean, Sasha and Connie down in a wagon, and let Sasha shoot the main threats. Then if needed, the rest of us could take the others out."

Levi stayed silent for a moment, as if considering his options before he turned to the two strategists. "You two stay hidden here and keep lookout for any backup."

Crossing her arms, Rebekah quirked a brow. She may not have been the most trustworthy, but she was strong. So why was he ordering her to stay behind? "Why me?" She challenged.

"Nobody knows you're working with us yet, we can still use that to our advantage if needs be. Also, Hange is due to meet with us soon." The captain explained, forcing the doctor to accept defeat and comply, besides,, she had Armin with her - he'd likely be overjoyed to hear more of her work.

"Fine." Beka placed her hands in her pockets, signalling for Armin to follow her.

For a while, they stayed silently watching through binoculars and intently watching their allies win the battle effortlessly. There was no denying what the scouts were capable of, maybe it would do Rebekah good to stick around for a while. Maybe try and rekindle her relationship with Hange while she was at it.

"Doctor Zoe?" Armin wondered, being the first to initiate conversation to which Beka replied with a hum. "Do you know anything about the world outside the walls?" He asked curiously.

The scientist chose her words carefully. It was true, the outside world was the least of her interests, so much so, that she bailed out of becoming a scout. However, that didn't diminish her desire for knowledge, she picked up a thing or two when reading.

"I think our future is out there." She answered truthfully. "My theory is that since titans are attracted to largely populated areas, the outside world is titan free. Maybe if we crossed the sea, they wouldn't be able to follow us?" She theorised.

"You know about the sea?" Armin marvelled.

"Bits and pieces." Beka mumbled, clearly Armin knew more than her about it.

"I want to see it one day. When we've eradicated the titans, we can explore the world."

"I might join you, who knows?" The doctor shrugged, looking back through the binoculars to see the squad. "Looks like the jobs done. Not too shabby. They must have had two damn good strategists."

Armin looked away, slightly embarrassed by the light compliment but Beka continued to complete the small task she was given. Taking out a hand mirror, she reflected the sunlight to catch the squads eyes and in turn, led them to a secure location within the trees. Their efficiency was commendable but she was most impressed by how quickly Levi was dragging one of the MPs up the hill they were perched on - he actually seemed as though he packed a lot of muscle within his smaller form.

"I take it you've come bearing gifts?" Beka lightly kicked the MP, who was sprawled across the ground while Levi maintained a tight grip on his collar.

"This useless sack of shit knows something, and we don't have time to find anyone more relevant." He replied and Beka instantly knew what was coming.

"He looks easier to crack than the last one, it shouldn't be too hard." She smiled devilishly, glaring down at the MP.

"Dammit, are you insane?" The man panicked, eyes darting between both Levi and Beka.

"Maybe."

————————

Authors note - damn it's been a long time. New school and new priorities have taken over most of my schedule so I haven't exactly had much time to update any of my chapters. But here I am, updates may be slow but they still happen. Bon appetite.