XVII. Breaking in

- CHAPTER SEVENTEEN -

Charlie found Kie sitting on the deck right next to the Chateau. He walked over to her, silently taking a seat next to her and letting his feet grace the water. Kie didn't lift her eyes and continued to look at the water beneath her. Charlie sighed and draped his arm around his girlfriend's shoulders bringing her into him.

"Whatcha doing?" He asked casually staring out in front of him.

Kie pursed her lips and let out a quiet sigh. "You know, just chilling while mentally cursing at John B."

The boy scoffed a laugh and kissed Kie's head softly. "Sounds so relaxing."

Silence took over and the two lovers continued to gaze out in front of them enjoying each other's presence.

Charlie let out a loud sigh and turned his gaze onto the girl next to him. "You know, he didn't mean anything bad for choosing the both of you. John loves you and he would always choose you."

"Why didn't he than?" The girl wiped away a tear that was rolling down her cheek. "Why'd he choose us both?"

"Because he loves you, and he loves Sarah. You can't expect him, a sixteen year old, to choose between his best-friend and his girlfriend." Charlie ran a hand through his hair. "It's like me having to choose between you and my sister, it's impossible because I love you both in a different way."

Kie looked up at her boyfriend with tears in her eyes. "That's different, Char. You and me have been friends for so long before we got together. You can't compare this to John B and the girl he's only met a few days ago." She turned her gaze back towards the water again. "Look, I know how this ends. I've seen this movie. I starred in it, you get where I'm going."

"Come on, Kie—"

"No. You know that time when I was in the Kook Academy with your sister?"

"Yeah, sort off, I was still in middle school." Charlie looked up at Kie with soft eyes.

"I was so done with that school from the moment I stepped in it, everyone hated me. Just as I'm about to slit my wrist, the queen asks me if I wanna go save baby sea turtles. Our first day together we walked to the beach. We waited for the hatch, and we kept the seagulls off so that the turtles could get to the water."

"That sounds like my sister." Charlie smiled softly. "Always loved animals."

Kie gave a little smile too as she remembered that day clearly. "It was the best day of my life." Her expression darkened and the smile left her face. "And then she turned on me like she does with everyone."

Charlie's smile left his face and a sombre look appeared instead. "That sounds less like my sister."

"Look, I'm not doing this with her. He's gonna have to choose and so do you." Kie looked Charlie right in the eyes.