Part 23

He lost. The blue-skinned boy's Regicide Impact was swallowed by his rival's Gigantic Omega and was thrown to the ground in defeat.

"Damn it." He said, mildly annoyed.

The green-haired girl walked to her rival with a smile on her face.

"Guess I win this round, Kaza." She held her hand down.

"Guess so, Amara." He said, accepting her hand, "I guess now it's seven to eight."

"Damn right!" She said with a smile.

"You should probably get back to your parents," Kaza said, "and I'm sure Mom and Baachan want me to get home soon too."

"Pretty sure Mom and Dad are in the Time nest with your grandmother trying to negotiate some PTO," Amara said, raising her hand to her chin, "their thirteenth marriage anniversary is soon."

"Really?" Kaza asked, "They've been together a long time."

Amara nodded, and the two began their trek to the Time Nest. Fifteen years ago, when Raza was around, the trip would've taken only a minute or two at walking speed. Though, that was far removed from the current reality. The patroller school was now well over two hundred kilometers from the Time Nest. Every Time Patroller and citizen over eighteen in Conton City a flying license, almost negating the need for public transportation. Unfortunately, Kaza and Amara were four years too young to have the privilege of flight, meaning they would go on foot.

"I can't believe we still have the nerve to call this place a city," Amara commented as they walked.

"What do you mean?" Kaza asked, taking the chance to grab snacks from a nearby vending machine.

Amara reached over and took an onigiri.

"This place," She said, gesturing wildly, "Is over ten million square kilometers! If Conton existed on any normal planet, it would be its own country."

"That's fair," Kaza said, taking a bite of mochi, "Though this whole place is interconnected. It's a country-sized city."

"You've got a point, too," Amara relented, finishing off her Onigiri, "Let's hurry to the Nest."

"Race ya," Kaza said, finishing his mochi.

"You're on!"

Without hesitation, the teens began sprinting at top speed.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

"You can have next week off," Chronoa said.

Granolah and Kale smiled and sighed in relief, much to Chronoa'a amusement.

"I don't know why the two of you always stress about asking that question," She said, picking up a pen to fill out paperwork, "I always say yes to patrollers wanting anniversaries off."

"I know, ma'am." Granolah said politely, "I just have a nagging in the back of my head that makes me ask."

In the last fifteen years, Granolah had dove even deeper into the well of power Toronbo had opened. His body was much more toned than when he was a bounty hunter, and his strength could shame some of the Angels. His hair had grown out during his time as a Time Patroller and had reached down to his back, looking identical to when Toronbo unleashed his potential, and despite being well into his sixties, he didn't look a day over twenty.

"I completely understand," Chronoa said, smiling, "I was the same way as an apprentice."

"Thank you, Lady Chronoa," Kale said, bowing.

Much like her husband, Kale changed massively in the last fifteen years. She had long lost her shy demeanor and no longer had the diminutive frame she was once known for. Her body was as well trained as Granolah's and held similar muscle definition, though slightly leaner. Her spikey hair was in the iconic ponytail she was known for, but nothing else was the same. She carried herself with much more confidence, and her mere presence intimidated junior patrollers when they met her, making her come off much more authoritarian than intended. And just like her husband, she didn't look a day over twenty.