1 - The Game Begins

You slip through the cracked glass doors of the giant arena, keeping to the shadows of the walls, carefully observing your surroundings. Hearing the sound of crunching under your feet, you peer down to see crisp golden sand creeping into the holes in your worn-out runners. "Great, how I love sand in my fucking shoes," you mutter under your breath. Groaning, you lean your back against the closest curved wall, hands in the pockets of your tight black jacket with your head dipped down. A group of players were huddled in the centre, shifting nervously on their feet. No one has spotted you yet, and you intended to keep it that way. Scanning their faces, there was no one familiar or of any particular interest to you. A vibration from your pocket sends shivers down your spine, and you reach down to grab the phone you had picked up at the entrance earlier. A message appears across the screen:

'ARE YOU QUICKER THAN SAND?'

What the hell was that supposed to mean?

Suddenly the sand of the arena began to shake vigorously, a few people in the centre began screaming in horror as their feet were consumed by the golden floor. Your eyes widen in realisation, shit, we were standing on quicksand. Whipping around, you run your hand up the walls you were just leaning against, they were too sloped to climb. Turning back to the big group, they had all realised at this point that the people furthest from the centre were not sinking yet and started racing to the walls. You watch in horror as an older womans legs were enveloped by the sand up to her knees, she was no longer able to move. Within a matter of seconds, the only thing visable was her hand desperatley reaching towards the sky, her screams muffled by pounds of powder.

Shit shit shit, focus, how the hell were you gonna get out of here.

You scan the arena once more, but still there was nothing, no chance of escape, even the lights above were far too high to reach. If there was no way to get out, maybe the aim of the game was to simply survive until the sand became normal once again. A high pitch squeal breaks these thoughts, a teenage girl who only looked a few years younger than you had one leg caught deeply in the sand. She was thrashing her body in attempt to free herself, sinking faster and deeper with every move. Without even thinking, you race towards her, grab her arm and whip her around you so that she fell  onto the solid part of the sand. She then races off to the side without even a thankyou the moment she is free. Where are the manners these days? Sighing you go to take a step forward, but your feet are frozen in place. Great, this day just keeps getting better and better.

You weren't a diamond player, but still smart enough to know that moving in quicksand was a death sentence. "A little help here anyone?" You yell out to where only a few players remained. No one looked inclined to assist you, not even that little twat you literally just saved. Even without moving, you were sinking quickly. This was it, you were going to die. Not even a cool way with explosions, but by fricken sand. Just as the cheesy memories and regrets were about to flash by, a man with a head of white hair crouched down in front of you. You meet his eyes and were graced with a perfectly cocky smile, "A bit stuck now are we?" He drawls.

Your jaw drops, was he kidding? We were all literally about to drown in goddamn sand. You take a moment to scan the face of this maniac and holy shit...

He was beautiful.

His structured yet angled face was perfectly framed by strands of almost shoulder-length white hair, his cat-like eyes beaming with intelligence and curiosity. He was like no one you had ever seen before, like a fallen angel.

"You like what you see?" He grinned.

Cocking your head to the side you snap out of the trance and squint your eyes, "Are you wearing eye-liner?"

His smile instantly dropped and his eyes narrow in on you, oops pretty boy was pissed. "I was going to save you, but I think I might just let you sink now." Anddd there goes the attraction. He went to turn with dramatic effect but in that moment, you grab his ankle and haul yourself out of the floor, your speed and strength earning a glance of suprise from the gorgeous white haired man, well maybe the attraction hadn't totally worn off.

You wink, "Thanks for the offer snow white, but I think I can handle myself."

With that, you jog back towards the safety of the arena edge, that was too close. The sand continued moving towards the walls of the arena where the surviving players were standing, and there was still no clear way out. Some were even trying to dig downwards, a few others climbing over each other to get further up the walls. You'll have to think harder. There must be a way to survive quicksand, and there was one person here who would definitely know that answer. The white-haired man was leaning against the wall of the arena to your right with his eyes closed, was that weirdo taking a nap? You stomp towards him and one eye opens as you reach him, "How do I survive the quicksand blondie, I know that you know."

He closes his eye once again and calmly responds, "Why would I know that?" Your eyes flash in annoyance, "Because you're clearly a smart-ass diamond player, and you're acting way too calm to think your about to die". He chuckles and faces towards you now with his eyes wide open, "That's true, I am rather clever. What will you give me if I help you? I've already saved you once, you owe me."

This man was ridiculous.

"How about I don't drag your ass down with me? We can make sandcastles in hell together." You say through gritted teeth. His eyes lit up, "Feisty creature aren't you? Fine I'll help, but you have to listen to everything I say." You nod your head in agreement.

"Take off your jacket" He stated calmly.

You scoff, "This is my favourite jacket you perv no way!" He raised his eyebrow, clearly judging you. 

He continues, "Fine, but you're going to die then. It's weighing you down, you need to keep your body as light as possible." He then proceeds to whip off his white jacket where he lacked a shirt underneath, revealing his suprisingly toned body, pants hanging dangerously low. Even in this life or death situation, you couldn't help but peek at the V line above the line of his pants. Jesus that was hot.

You look up to see him amusingly watching you check him out, "Hope you are enjoying the show." Rolling your eyes, your proceed to whip off your favourite black jacket, revealing a tight white singlet that truely left nothing to the imagination. It was his turn to gawk. The borderlands had turned your body into a weapon, leaving you in the best shape of your life. You watch as his eyes trail from your stomach and over your breasts before he quickly looked away. You laugh, "I think my show was better."

Ignoring the comment, he begins to explain out his plan, "So quicksand is more dense than your body, meaning we just need to float on the top of it by lying backwards and angling ourselves the right way. Don't move too much, just go very slowly, watch me."

He kneels on the sand as it begins to swallow his legs, then adjusts his body so that his weight was distributed and so that he was flat against the floor, he stopped sinking. In that moment, your legs were also beginning to be swallowed, so you mimic his movements carefully, lying down directly horizontal to his body. A few people watched this and also copied his movements, but all we could do was hear the desperate screams of struggle that most people were letting out as they were drowning in the quicksand, you couldn't even cover your ears because the movement could cause you to sink.

After a few minutes, there was no more screams. Somewhere hidden in the sand the phones ding:

CONGRATULATIONS PLAYERS, GAME COMPLETE.

Immediately you jump to your feet, heading straight to the glass doors of the arena. A raspy voice sounds behind that stops you in your tracks, "You should join us at the beach, you could be an asset to us." Realisation hits you and you shake your head and laugh whilst turning back to face him, "So that's why you saved me, you want me to join your stupid gang." The white haired man cocks his head to the side, "I saw how you snuck in and kept to the side, its exactly what I did, and I have a feeling you would have figured out how to survive on your own. But whatever, do what you want, like I care."

"Great, because I don't need people leaching off my back for my cards, I actually intend to return home. Go back to your weird little cult." You spit, his face was blank, unreadable.

With that, you wander out of the exit and into the night, flipping him off as his gaze was heavy on your back, but you dare not look behind you.