13 - And It All Falls Down

You were lounging around the pool, basking in the afternoon sun. Everyone had slept in longer than usual, heads pounding from the night before, half passed out on their pool chairs. Chishiya was still no where to be seen. Flashbacks of last night in the elevator skip through your mind, the thought of him and those moments making you shiver. We were meant to meet him behind the resort in the next hour to discuss the plan and you wondered how he was going to act towards you. Would he pretend it didn't happen? Flaunt it in front of our friends? Act like he was your boyfriend or something? He was so unpredictable you didn't have a clue. Kuina had been smirking at you all morning, and as soon as Arisu, Usagi and Tatta moved to get some water, she made a beeline to where you were sitting.

"So how was your night?" She drawled, face bright with delight.

You roll your eyes, "Geez Kuina do you really wanna know?" She nodded eagerly in response, shuffling down further into the seat next to you to get more comfortable to further her point. You chuckle, "Well it's always been kinda weird between us. We just have this crazy sexual tension that we can hardly control, you should've seen us at the last executive meeting. We hated each other, yet couldn't keep our hands off each other at the same time. He made it clear over the last few days that he had no interest in me like that, but obviously he was either lying or seeing me with another guy last night made him jealous or something because he totally cock blocked me."

Kuina scoffed, twirling her long dreads in between her fingers, "Sounds like Chishiya, classic enemy to lovers trope."

Choosing to ignore the comment, you continue, "Well we did it in the elevator-"

Cutting you off she screams, "You did what? In the elevator?" She then bursts out laughing, "What? Could you not make it back to your rooms? A metal box too enticing to leave?"

You stay silent, glancing towards the sky as if something interesting had suddenly caught your attention. Guilty as charged. Kuina falls to the floor, laughing even harder at your failed attempt to be inconspicuous. You can't help but smile at her ridiculous overeaction, "Ha ha ok very funny, like you didn't probably do the exact same thing last night. But holy shit Kuina, it was the best sex i've ever had in my life. He surprised me, for a pretty boy, he sure knows how to play rough."

She grimaces and makes choking sounds, "Ew ok too many details, he's like a brother to me." Pulling a more serious face she grabs your arm and pulls you closer, "Listen, I want you to be careful with him though. As much as I love him, I know he will throw anyone under the bus in order to save his own skin. He's manipulative and ten times smarter than you think he is, just keep yourself at an arms length."

Nodding, you appreciate the advice, but it's not like he was a horrible person. He had saved you multiple times, he just acted like a prick about it sometimes. The cocky bastard would never actually hurt any of us, it was totally an act. He was a good person deep down. But then again, why hasn't he told anyone he's a doctor? He could've helped so many people here, saved lives. Even as a vet you helped out when you could. The thought weighed heavy on your mind as you sat there in silence.

The others returned shortly after and together, we headed around towards the back of the resort, wary of the fact that the militants lurked in these areas. Niragi had also been threatening Arisu and Usagi, and if we were caught in the wrong spot at the wrong time, we were all as good as dead. As we near the very back of the building, a putrid smell fills the air, we all hold our noses and cough.

"What the hell is that? Smells like someone died." Tatta whines, face scrunched into a disguisted scowl.

Out of the corner of your eye you notice a large bin covered with a tarp, the smell seemed to be emulating from there. You break away from the group and walk slowly towards it, the horrible odur becoming stronger and stronger. Covering your mouth and nose, you whip off the tarp and gasp. Piling high in the huge container lay a sea of dead rotting bodies, bullet wounds, cuts and bruises covering their lifeless figures. The others notice your absence and find you staring with horror towards the bin, tears brimming your eyes. They emit a chorus of swearing and cries, someone was even vomitting.

"This is what they do, this is who they are." A voice sounds from above, "Welcome to the underbelly of your so called utopia." You tear your eyes away from the bodies and look upwards towards Chishiya, who was standing at the top of a staircase, his silver hair blowing in the wind. He strolls down, hands in his pockets. Kuina, who didn't look suprised at the scene, walked to stand beside him as he reached the bottom step, she clearly knew of this plan. He continued, "The militants will take control soon enough, and these bodies will spill from this bin and fill the resort, and our own will be amongst them." He doesn't meet your eye, instead focusing on Arisu. "Know that you know the truth, I'll need your help when the time is right, can I count on you?" Arisu was shaking, but still murmered his agreement. He then looked towards the rest of us, his face blank, emotionless. You nod, searching for a glimpse of sympathy in his gaze, but finding nothing. You glance back towards the mountain of brutalised bodies, you couldn't even imagine what these poor people had gone through. Actually maybe you could, you would have been one of them if you had not escaped Niragi's grasp a few days earlier. It made you angry, no, furious. This really was a wake up call.

This was the borderlands, not home.

You spend the next night holed up inside your room alone. Even after a million showers, you couldn't wash the stench of death from your body. All those people were never going to make it home to their families, their loved ones. But the borderlands hadn't taken them, the people had. We were meant to be working together to get out of here, how did it all go so wrong? Hunger was the only thing that drove you downstairs, however the yelling and screaming sounding from the lobby drew you to investigate the commotion. You watch from deep inside the crowd of people as Niragi dragged a corpse through the doors and into the centre of the room. Your eyes widen as you realise who's body it was, the Hatter had fallen down his rabbit hole, however this one must've been too deep.

"The Hatter is dead." Nirgai yelled out to the crowd, his voice ringing across the lobby. "He was killed in the game today, an unfortunate accident." There was no sorrow in his voice, in fact he sounded thrilled. "We will be electing a new leader tonight." He then snapped and a few men lifted the body and followed Niragi to the elevator, what were they going to do with him? The crowd muttered amongst themselves, most sounding scared. You had a feeling that his death wasn't an accidental one, and most of the others looked like they were thinking the exact same thing. Did this mean the Militants would be take charge? What chaos would this lead too? Slipping back through the crowd, you ran to find the others. We needed to do something before it was too late.

The beach had been hit by a tsunami, and now we were all underwater. The question was who will make it up for air? And who will drown amongst the rubble?

It is important to remember there is never only one wave in a tsunami. This was only the beginning.