3 - Son of a Beach

"No fucking way Kuina. I would rather die in a game than join these idiots." You yell angrily at the tall woman I'm front of you.

"Woah slow down girl it's not as bad as it seems! We stick to our smaller groups, there's hot water and electricity, plenty of food and it's kinda fun to let loose every once in a while!" She grins, "Trust me a distraction can be helpful sometimes."

Scowling at Kuina, you protest, "I don't care. I need to stay focused to get back home. I also know for a fact your little ring leaders takes everyone's cards and then threatens them into obedience, i'm not a fucking dog."

She lets out a huff and folds her long, slender arms. "God you are stubborn, it's not like you really have a choice anyway, you need them. I promise I'll have your back, same with Chishiya and the rest of our crew. Don't worry about your cards either, I'll explain another time"

Who the hell was Chishiya?

You huff, "Jesus fine, but as soon as it gets messy I'm out of here. Got that?"

She squeals and interlocks our arms once more, "Yay! Finally a girl friend, we are going to have so much fun together I can already tell! I can't wait to introduce you to our group too." We walk through the entrance into a huge lobby and there were people everywhere. Most were in minimal clothes and swimsuits, dancing and chatting away. You had to admit, they looked pretty happy, you almost forgot for a moment that you were in the Borderlands. Kuina continued, "I'll introduce you to the leaders so they can give you a number and explain our rules. Follow me." She led me through the crowd and up a few flights of stairs until we reached a giant office with a few people sitting around a table. They all exuded power, some carrying guns. As we entered, their heads swung up and all eyes were on you.

A wild man wearing a robe jumped to his feet, clapping his hands in delight. "Kuina! You have brought us a fresh face how fantastic!" He stalked around the table towards you, your body tightened, ready to spring into action. He noticed the tension and smiled, "Relax gorgeous! No need to be on the defence anymore, you are with us now, part of The Beach, we welcome you with open arms!" He grabs your hand and shook it vigorously, "As long as you follow our rules, you should fit in just fine here. I can already tell you're going to be something special." He reached into his pocket and popped a wristband with the number 16 in your hand, the table alongside Kuina looked shocked.

You ignored the looks and gave a tight smile towards the leader, "Thankyou sir."

He plonked a hand on your shoulder and proudly declared, "We look after our residents at the beach, especially those who help us win cards. Kuina, please show our new player to one of our nicer rooms." She nodded and turned to lead you out of the office. Before exiting, you glance once more at the table and notice an empty chair, I guess someone missed their meeting. Your eyes then dart from the missing space to the man sitting across the table, who was sending a filthy, hungry smile towards you. He had his hair in a bun and gun strapped to his side, you made a note to stay well clear of him. You weren't worried though, you had dealt with plenty of guys like that here.

Once we left the office, Kuina turned to face you, "I have never seen anyone given a number over 20 on their first visit, he clearly sees something in you, maybe it was the fact you were totally ready to beat him into the floor." You shrug and keep walking, that ranking system was probably all bullshit and politics anyway.

You were shown into a spacious room on one of the high levels. It had a large bathroom, a queenside bed with pristine white sheets and an insane view of the pool and city. Now this was better than that beat up old trailer, although you couldn't help but feel a pang of sorrow leaving that Shit hole. Kuina left you with instructions to meet her down the hallway after explaining the basic rules of The Beach. She had put you on the same level as herself and her friends apparently. Considering the size of the rooms and the floor level, it would be safe to assume they were also high up in the ranks, or knew someone who was. You were about to plonk yourself on the soft looking mattress when you remember there was an actual working shower a few feet away, beckoning you, summoning your very soul. You almost squealed at the thought. After stripping off your old, worn out clothes, you turn the faucet to a boiling point and waited for it to warm. Steam filled the room as you stepped under the water, the filth and grime washing off instantly under the pressure and heat. If only you could stay in here forever. You sink to the floor of the shower and wrap your arm around your knees, finding comfort in the warmth and closing your eyes. They suddenly snap open, wait a minute, wasn't that white haired guy also from the beach? You groan and bury your head into your legs. There were hundreds of people here, maybe you'd get lucky and avoid running into him. That pretty little shit better stay away from you, unless he was shirtless again, then he could just stand there with his mouth shut or something.

After a few minutes and some soap, you emerge from the shower and grab the plush towel hanging on a rack. You dry yourself off and wrap it around you, water from your hair dripping down your back. Eying the pile of filthy clothes you had thrown in the corner, you decide to venture into the hallway to find Kuina's room, she would have something spare for you. You creak open your room door and pop your head outside, the coast looked clear. You quickly skip over the other end of the hallway and find Kuina's room number, 709. Wait a second, it was definitely 709 right? Maybe it was 708... Shit. Furrowing your brows you knock on the door of 709, hoping to god that it was the right room. A lock clicks and the door flies open, revealing none other than the guy from the arena. You had almost forgotten how good looking he was, his sheer beauty making you take a step back. He popped his hands in the pockets of a white jacket similar to the one he wore in yesterday and eyed you down, smirking as he spoke, "What happened to not wanting to join the cult? Thought you said you'd be better off on your own."

You scowl at him, "I had no choice jackass, you and your stupid group stole all the food in my area." He raised an eyebrow in interest and looked down at the small towel covering your body.

"Eyes up here blondie," you snap, "I'm looking for a girl called Kuina, I thought this was her room number. Do you know her?"

He shrugged, "Nope, never heard of her."

You go to speak again but the door was slammed in your face. What the hell! That guy is a real piece of work. Fuming, you stomp back towards your room and whip open the door. On the bed lay a white bikini with some denim shorts, Kuina must have put them there when you had the shower. You shake off the towel and pop on the bikini, walking to the bathroom mirror to examine yourself. It fit perfectly, and did wonders for the girls. You turned to check the back of it and your jaw dropped. It looked like a piece of string going up your butt cheeks! You had to admit, it did make your ass look fantastic, but there was no way you could walk around in that. You walk back to the bed and pull on the shorts, the low rise and short cut not covering much, but still better than that piece of floss that Kuina considered bikini bottoms. This dress code was absurd. There were also a pair of white wedges perched next to the bedside table, what the fuck was she thinking? As soon as she saw Kuina she would make sure she got some higher functioning shoes, maybe the heels were to ensure you didn't run away. Sitting on the bed, you slip them on, stumbling while you stand up. You weren't used to the height, how utterly impractical. But you would have to get used to all of this though. These were the rules of The Beach, apparently wearing minimal clothing ensured that you couldn't hide weapons, but where did it say wedges was part of the uniform? At least it made your legs look longer. Your hair was almost dry at this point, and after months of going without a hair cut and heat, it was long and healthy. At least you'll die with great hair right?

You chuckle to yourself and open the door to the hallway once again, ready to face whatever challenges The Beach brought you, in heels too.