My Everything

Maddison's POV:

There was a lot on my mind recently with taking care of my mother's medication, sleep schedule, and attending to her bedside needs. So when Hayden was pulling me out of the house to go grocery shopping, I was sort of caught off guard. I had still been pushing him away, numerous times this month, after I found out about my mother's illness. 

And even though we shared a moment on the couch a few nights ago, that didn't really mean all was well in the world. 

We head to the grocery store in silence, as I'm looking out the window and Hayden is staring at the road. It's time like these where I wonder what's going on in that man's mind. And I wondered if he did the same for me. I looked over at him, ready to ask him why I'm being pulled away from my mother for no reason. He could have gotten groceries by himself, why did he need me to go with him? 

"Don't look at me like that" Hayden said, as my eyes narrowed and lingered on his face. 

The olive tone in his skin, the chestnut brown waves in his hair, the crystal blue specks in his eyes of ocean blue. His muscular arms holding the steering wheel, as he turns the car into the grocery parking lot. 

"I just want to know, why you're dragging me out of the house" I said, folding my arms and eyeing the windshield. 

"Maddie, when was the last time you even left the house to do something for you. Besides pick up your mother's medication and head to doctor's appointments for the baby?" he asked, as I went to open my mouth, thinking of a sarcastic remark to throw at him. 

But nothing came to mind. 

Sure, he was right, I was getting a little bit obsessive over my mother's medication and the baby's health. But I was tense these days, and I could feel it in my body. I sighed, rubbing my shoulder, as he parked the car.

 "Just come grocery shopping with me and at least pretend you are having a good time" he said, making me laugh. 

He grinned, as I rolled my eyes and unbuckled my seat belt. Hayden then jumped out, running to the other side of the car to help me out safely. 

"I can do it Hayden" I said,

 "just take my hand Maddie" he said, as I do so, and he pulls me to my feet on the concrete. 

We walk inside the grocery store, as I wait for him to find a cart. My mother usually made a list for me to follow, but I came here so unexpectedly, I don't even know what we're getting. 

"Don't worry, I got us covered" Hayden said, taking out his phone, as I watched him open his notes app. 

"Okay first things first, milk" he said, as he pushes the cart towards the dairy section and I follow. 

When we fill up the cart with a few more items on his list, we're walking past the baby food aisle.

 "Wait" I said, as Hayden stops pushing the cart and looks towards me. 

"See something you like?" he asked, as he turned the cart around. 

"I just wanna walk down this aisle first, I'll catch up with you" I said, as he looks down the baby aisle and smiles.

 "Okay, I'll be in the meat section" he said, as I nod. 

When he pushes the cart past me, I head down the aisle. Gazing at the baby food, bibs, toys, and pacifier's. My hand finds my stomach, as I smile at all the baby items in front of me. 

Fear washed over me, cause now my mother wasn't going to be here anymore to help me on the journey of parenthood. And I was still trying to come to terms with how I felt about Hayden being in our daughter's life, as well as my life. I don't know where he fits yet. And I also didn't know if I saw a future with him yet. It wasn't like it was difficult though, to picture him as a father with our daughter.