A Miracle Is Born

Maddison's POV:

I called my father over for a discussion a few days after my conversation with Hayden. It took me a few days because I could never bring myself to call him again. It was so difficult to even dial his number, but I remembered what my mother said to me, when she was still alive. How she was happy for my father, and just because he wasn't ready to be a father when he had me, didn't mean I should push him away completely. It meant I should hear him out. Hayden was right, I gave him a chance to explain himself, and I finally allowed myself to feel freely about my love for him. I'm hoping I can do the same for my father. 

Hayden noticed how much I was struggling to dial my dad's number, so he did it for me, and gave me the phone to ask him over. His hand squeezed mine whenever I stumbled over my words, or started trembling. Which gave me some sort of comfort. My father was on his way here now, and he and I were waiting for his arrival on the living room couch. 

"It's gonna be okay, I'm right here with you" Hayden says, whispering in my ear, as he places a soft kiss on my neck. And I smile, nervously. 

There's a knock at the door, as my heart races, and Hayden let's go of my hand to go answer the door. I look over at the front door, to see my father waiting in the doorway, he greets Hayden at the door with a firm handshake and Hayden allows him inside. Which still didn't sit right with me, watching him step foot into my childhood home. I can see him looking around, and I can barely read the expression on his face but he seems overwhelmed when he makes his way over to me. And Hayden is right behind him. 

"Mads.. hey" my dad says, as he takes a seat across from me and Hayden sits next to me, placing his hand on my knee, as my hand slips into his. 

I take a deep breath, trying to ease my anxiety, as I look into my father's eyes. 

"I called you over here cause I'm ready to hear you out. I just want to know why you did what you did." I said, hoping hearing him out, would finally give me some kind of closure. 

He smiles softly, looking down at my stomach briefly, before sighing himself. 

"Maddison, when I married your mother.." my dad starts, running his hand over his face and he seems to be fighting tears. He then looks at me, and I can see his eyes turning red. 

"When she and I met and married, I was in love with her. I still have love for your mother. And I'm always gonna miss her" he said, which tugged at my heart strings. 

"The reason why I left.. was because you were right, your mother caught me having an affair. But that's only because after we had you, we could feel a strain on our relationship. And I started to feel even more drawn to someone else. It's not that I wasn't ready for you Mads, of course I wanted you. I just didn't know who I was outside of being a father or a husband. I needed time to figure that out, and somewhere along the way I did that with another woman." he says, making me squeeze Hayden's hand out of anger, and he rubs his thumb over my knuckles. 

"But I feel terrible about doing so, not every marriage stays together, and I know how much I don't deserve your forgiveness. But I am so sorry, that i ever made you feel like I never truly cared about you." he says, hesitantly reaching for my hand, I stare at his attempt, and before I can decide anything. 

Hayden takes my hand in his and places it in my father's grasp slowly. 

My breath hitches, feeling my father's touch for the first time in years. It felt just like old times, and an overwhelming urge of sorrow washed over me. 

"I will always love and care for you. And I meant what I said before, about being there for your daughter. And I'm gonna be there for you too. Whenever you need or want me too." he says, making a tear fall out of my eye. As I wipe it away instantly.