The Shift Within A Broken Heart

Maddison's POV:

So many things were rushing though my mind and sending my entire being into overdrive as I felt Hayden's lips on my mine. His hands were caressing my cheeks, and his body heat colliding with my own. This all happened so quick I couldn't even comprehend what I was feeling, every emotion was attacking me so quickly and immensely, and within seconds I couldn't breathe. 

I shove Hayden off of me, even though our kiss only last for a few seconds. He's blue eyes stare at me in shock, surprised I pushed him away. As I took a step back, my heart was palpitating, my hands were trembling, and I was trying to catch my breath. 

"Maddison-" Hayden starts, but I'm running out of the room and down the hall to the bathroom. I can hear Hayden following after me, but I slam the door behind me, before he can approach. 

I'm gasping for air, sliding my back down the door, as I'm feeling everything around me, trying to take in what I taste, what I smell, what I see, and what I hear, one by one. And then the dam around my heart shatters, and the realization comes spilling out of my eyes. I can't believe I'm having a panic attack and a break through at the same time. 

Hayden's knocking on the door behind me, 

"Maddie? are you okay?! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry if I upset you. Or if you didn't want me to kiss you. I just.." Hayden says, rambling about how he didn't mean to, and it's okay if I'm upset with him. But I'm too busy hugging my knees, and crying hysterically to even listen. I'm not crying cause I hated the kiss or because we even kissed. I'm crying because now I understand why he bullied me, I understand where he was coming from with his grief for his sister. 

And I feel like I'm letting myself down if I'm not angry with him anymore, I'm terrified that my heart was able to forgive him before he even kissed me. Before I could even comprehend it myself. I never realized any of this until his lips were on mine. 

"Maddison, you're scaring me.. please open the door" Hayden pleads, as I'm taking deep breaths to calm myself. 

I wipe my tears, still feeling a bit shaky, as I climb to my feet and turn to face the door behind me. I rest my forehead against the door, as Hayden continues to beg me to open the door. My hand finds the knob, and I twist It slowly, easing the door open, as I look into his eyes, and my heart leaps for his. 

His hands are on my face, caressing my cheeks, and pulling me into a warm embrace. 

"Why are you crying?" he asks, but I don't answer. 

Instead, I'm taking his hands off of me, and walking past him, as he follows me into the kitchen.

 "Maddie talk to me, you're shaking" he says behind me, as I exhale turning to face him. 

"I can't do this.." I said, as my heart continues to race, I don't look into his eyes cause if I do I won't be able to ignore how I feel. And what just happened in the bathroom. 

"Can't do what? what are you talking about?" he asks, as the confusion and hurt in his tone causes me to grip the kitchen counter. 

"You need to go Hayden" I say softly, folding my arms, and staring at the tile on the floor. 

"Maddie, don't do this, don't keep on pushing me away when I know you don't want that." he says, stepping closer to me. 

"Hayden.. you kissed me" I said, feeling my voice break, as that sentence leaves my mouth. 

"Don't you dare tell me you didn't want me too! you did Maddie, I could feel it!" he argues, making me sigh. 

"I wasn't .. ready for that." I lied, and he shakes his head.