Go on and touch me

Chapter 13:

Sitting in the car, Bright suddenly realized something about Win: his bodyguard could be unnaturally calm at the worst of times.

"The brakes aren't working," Bright repeated dumbly.

Win nodded, jerking the steering wheel to the side to avoid a van

Win nodded, jerking the steering wheel to the side to avoid a van. Bright's hand clamped down on the edges of his seat, gripping the leather desperately. A stream of horn honks sounded, fading too quickly as the car continued forward. Win downshifted a gear. "It would seem so. The clutch also seems to have been tampered with, since we keep accelerating. Not by a lot, but enough."

Bright studiously kept his gaze on Win's face, eyes snapping back to his bodyguard's face every time they strayed to glance at the speedometer. "So, we're essentially stuck in a car that won't stop."

He meant it as a statement, but Win still answered as if the model had asked him a question. "Oh, no. It can stop."

Somehow, Win's answer should have made him feel better but his grip tightened on the leather nonetheless. "How exactly are we supposed to stop if we keep accelerating and can't stop?"

Win said nothing, zooming around a truck and cutting off a school bus. The guardrail loomed back into Bright's vision as Win approached it again.

"How are we supposed to stop?" he asked again, stomach clenching as his mind conjured up its own answers to the question.

Win didn't spare Bright a glance, keeping his eyes glued to the road, eyes flicking to the side view mirrors every so often. "I'm going to crash the car."

Oh, that makes sense

"You're joking right?"

"Not at all."

"Crash?" Bright didn't care that his voice went up an octave as he said the word. "Crash into what?!"

"Into something hard, of course," Win's response was calm, as if he were explaining something to a particularly hysterical child.

"You can't just—!"

Bright didn't have time to protest before Win turned the steering wheel toward the guardrail. The impact jolted the car, Bright flinching as Win carefully maneuvered the vehicle so that it's side rubbed against the metal rail. Screeching filled the air, but Win didn't seem to be bothered by it, face impassive as his hand steadily held onto the wheel. More sensitive than a normal human's, the sound assaulted Bright's ears but his hands were already too deeply embedded into the leather of his seat to reach up and cover them. Win turned away from the rail, the sound ceasing abruptly. Bright glanced back, seeing the last remains of the sparks from the contact disappearing. The rail was slightly blackened from where the car had made contact, but Bright couldn't tell if the car had slowed at all.