vii. 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝗶𝘀𝘆 𝗷𝗼𝗻𝗲𝘀

RISING
IRIS JONES

—————————⋆⋅☆⋅—————————

IRIS JONES (singer, songwriter): by the end of 1976, i had about three singles out that i had released by myself. i had help from sunshine records, but only so i can record the songs. the producer for sunshine records was no other than my dear old friend jim's nephew. he was a total creep, guess it ran in the family.

i left new york in may, and my first single "sad, beautiful, tragic" released in early july. just a few weeks after, i released "would've, could've, should've" and "it's time to go" at the same time.

i was recognized very quick, hate to say it, but i believe it was my last name that got me up the charts super quick.

INTERVIEWER: what makes you think that?

IRIS: well, i didn't notice at the time, but my sister, daisy had a hit single that she was touring for at the time. "honeycomb" was the name. she was a feature on it with the infamous band, the six. [smiles] i'm pretty sure people started putting the pieces together by the time "it's time to go" was in the top 100 charts.

regardless though, i needed a label so i could make an album. i was very hesitant on calling that teddy price that harry had recommended me. i knew what i wanted to do and where i wanted to go, i didn't want to call up some random guy who was just going to try to get into my pants and not do what i wanted him too.

but, i ended up calling him.

he kept telling me that he was booked up, he didn't need another artist that was just going to screw him over. i'm pretty sure i called him about thirteen times before he gave me the opportunity to sing for him.

we had set a date, truthfully i don't remember what the date was, but it was near the end of the year. i sang to him my newest unreleased song "state of grace" and i may just be flattering myself, but he loved it. whatever teddy may tell you, he loved it. i ended playing him my three released songs that same day plus a few more before he came to a decision.

he told me that he'd call me.

i thought he hated it. i could never tell that day because he kept this serious face the entire time, he'd nod when i hit high notes but that was it.

then about a week or two later he called me. he said "iris jones. get your ass into my studio, i want you on my label." he wasn't rude about it, he was actually laughing. i was in awe. i was on a fucking label. this has been my dream since i was seven years old.

i'm pretty sure i cried myself to sleep that night. in happy tears, of course. it just all became so real. my life was actually getting better.

WARREN ROJAS (drummer, the six): everything was going so well. at least for the rest of the band. billy was so mad that daisy was apart of our tour. when teddy had told us that "honeycomb" would've sounded better with female voice with it, we'd all thought that she'd record it and be done. then she was going on tour with us, then she was on stage for more than just one song.

it didn't effect anyone else like it did billy. it was like daisy was burning his ass on fire with a torch every minute. if he wasn't married, and didn't have a child at the time, i bet he would've kissed her already.

BILLY DUNNE (lead singer, the six): everything was going so smooth until daisy came into the picture and messed with everything. the only benefit with daisy being with us all the time was that teddy's focus was all on us. it sounds super conceited, i know.

but that was the case until he told us about the new singer that he just signed onto his label. i was joking with him when i said "you gonna put them on our album too?" but he got really defensive and kept looking at daisy.

he just walked away when i said that. and for weeks we were hassling him into to telling us who it was. we were all pretty nosey.

DAISY JONES: (singer, daisy jones & the six): teddy got a little distance with me after he let it slip about the new artist that he was working with. he still did everything with me and for me that he'd done before, but he was just... different.

every time he'd talk about the new artist he would either do it when i was around and he didn't think i was listening or if he was talking about them in front of me he'd keep looking at me. i was really confused.

never once did i think it could've been someone i knew, i didn't know any other singers. i figured that maybe it was one of my exes that i'd publicly been with, and he didn't want tabloids knowing about the fact that he was working with both of us. i thought that he thought that if he'd kept it from me, i would go all crazy on them for trying to take my spotlight.

the band definitely ended up finding out who the artist was and everyone kept it from me. i was heavily irritated by it.

GRAHAM DUNNE (guitarist, the six): iris jones was her name. it wasn't long for us all to take the hint on who it was exactly. the last name kind of gave it away. that and the fact teddy made it very abundantly clear that we were to not tell daisy.

WARREN: every time i head her name, i couldn't help but think about that song "iris" by the goo goo dolls. it was my favorite song at the time. how convenient. [smiles widely]

i knew she was related to daisy, and i thought that if she were anything like daisy, i were to stay away from her. [laughs] let me just tell you, iris was nothing like daisy jones.

———————————————

                 ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

LILLY SPEAKS !

before you all come for
my neck. i KNOW that
iris by the googoo dolls
came out in 1998.

BUT. for the sake of the
story and future events (smirks)
iris by tggd came out in 1972.

thank you for your time.

i love you all, & if i don't see ya',
good morning, good evening, & goodnight