xii. 𝗴𝗼𝗼𝗴𝗹𝘆 𝗲𝘆𝗲𝘀

RISING
IRIS JONES

*iris jones' point of view*

—————————⋆⋅☆⋅—————————

EVERYONE LOVES the song. cruel world i mean. i just finished recording it about an hour ago, and teddy thinks it's a great song. i've been at the studio all day long, and i am exhausted, but don't want to go home yet. i've been hanging out with tobias and teddy at the mixing desk outside the booth with the band and daisy in it.

they've also been here since this morning, besides karen and eddie running out to get lunch. they've hardly recorded anything today, it's mainly just been discussions about the songs that are even going to me on the new album. what i'm saying is, billy and daisy have been arguing for the past probably twelve hours. i'm totally team daisy.

"should we uh, play the new one for daisy?" billy says putting his guitar strap around his shoulder. "yeah, i think your going to dig this one."

"let me guess, it's about your wife... and the rain." daisy replies in a sarcastic tone. everyone else just looks at her goofily. i can see warren and eddie exchanging looks on the verge of laughter. daisy starts giggling and billy looks at her with a smile on his face.

"is that funny?" he says, "sorry, did you want to say something?"

daisy replies back, "no- i just. i mean, i'm not here to sing harmony about a bunch of love songs about your wife. you know, i mean if we're in a band, the band has to be just as much mine as it is yours, and karen's, graham's, and warren's and... that guy's." she says pointing to eddie, which makes me snort laughter and teddy and tobias both look at me as i sit in between them. eddie just shrugs.

"i mean," she continues, "shouldn't we at least talk about a directon? is there a concept or a big idea you have for the record? or?"

karen chimes in, "actually, i agree. what-? i-i actually think it's a good conversation."

"you know what i think?" eddie chimes in and he looks at me through the window and he almost starts laughing at me because i'm smiling at him knowing exactly what he's about to say. "i think this should be a rock-n'-roll record."

billy turns to him and says, "thank you eddie, thank you so much for your input." eddie mutters i'm serious and billy keeps going, "of course it's going to be a rock-n'-roll record, man. what the fuck?"

"is it though? 'cause i mean... a lot of these songs sound like...pop songs, man." i can see graham trying to silently tell him to stop talking and karen stands next to him rubbing the back of her neck. "like sonny and cher shit. like what? are we a pop band now...or?" oh god. "rock-n'-roll should be passion, pain.. anger. sleeping with someone you don't know, not making sweet love to your wife for christ sakes." billy turns back to him with the most murderous glare. "no offense, billy."

"sort of what i was trying to say." daisy says.

"how about some african drums?" warren adds and i almost smile. daisy nods.

"we could do a song just vocals and piano?" karen says.

"yeah, i-i'd like to write some of my own bass parts for once." eddie chimes in, once again.