xix. 𝘀𝗮𝗳𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲

RISING
IRIS JONES

*iris jones' point of view*

—————————⋆⋅☆⋅—————————

RANDY'S DONUTS is packed this morning. it's almost lunch time, so seeing this many people in here is surprising. warren and i stand in line just screwing around.

"what is it with you and donuts anyway? like what the big appeal?" warren asks standing behind me with his arms around my shoulders. i turn my head to look right at him,

"you're kidding right?" he shakes his head, "have you ever had a donut?"

"yeah, when i was younger. they're not that good in my opinion." my mouth drops, deeply offended.

"warren alexander rojas!" i gasp, "there is no way you just said that to me." i detach myself from his arms and stand a good two feet away from him, pretending to not know him.

we move up in the line and he apologizes, thinking he really did offend me. we laugh some more before he says, "i have to run to the bathroom real quick, you okay to stay right here?" he worries about me and my well-being so much.

"yeah, go ahead." i smile at him and squeezes my hands before he walks away. tex, an employee who works here that i've grown accustomed too, waves to me behind the counter. i move up a few spaces. "good morning, tex."

"good morning, iris." tex is probably in his early forties. his father, randy, the one who opened this little cafe shop in the first place apparently passed away last summer. now, tex has decided to continue the business instead of just shutting it down. it's sweet. "you want your usual?"

"yes, but add about three pink sprinkled donuts, please." warren and i decided to stop by the dunne house on our way back even though he was just there this morning. i wanted to say thank you to camilla for going to my apartment for me, and because i just want to see julia.

i then realize that i left my wallet in the van, "tex, let me run out and get my wallet real quick." he nods to me and sits my box and coffee on the back counter. this happens often when i drive here, i always forget my money.

warren left the van unlocked so i just open up the passenger door and lean in and reach for the glovebox, grabbing my wallet. i go through it and grab a five dollars, and i put my wallet back. when i shut the passenger side door and turn to walk away, a person is standing in front of me and i jump backwards.

"jesus christ, are you stalking me now?" it's matthew. i swear this guy never goes away.

"no, i didn't even know you were here. i was walking down the side walk and seen you over here. i wanted to apologize." he says. his face is bruised and he has cuts scattered. i should feel bad, but i don't. because i look very similar.

"okay, so apologize." i feel more overpowered by anger at what he did than sadness. i know your "first love" is usually never your last. i accepted that when i was sixteen and with matthew. i knew he was a cheater, and abusive. but, never once did it cross my mind would he attempt to do anything like what he did last night. matthew knew about the things jim did to me, i never imagined that he would try to reciprocate the same actions.