Dead Man Walking

~ A FEW DAYS LATER ~ PUBLIC HOSPITAL ~ PRISONER'S ROOM ~

Room number 308, where inmates are housed when they need medical attention, is located on the third floor of the hospital's main building. It's located at the back of the hallway, relatively isolated from the rest of the patient rooms, from which it's separated by automatic sliding iron doors with grills. Two uniformed, armed prison guards stand in front of the last door, while all the windows, both in the hallway and in the room, have narrow bars.

Inside the room, there is nothing else except the two beds with the special base for the handcuffs. Not even a bedside table or the dining table on wheels. To protect doctors, nurses, and other patients as much as possible, the hospital has a rule that there are as few things as possible that the inmates could use as a weapon to escape.

These days, the room is occupied by two brothers who are known to the police as robbers and whose modus operandi is to corner innocent citizens in narrow alleys, rob them and beat them to death, even if they don't fight back. Usually, the two brothers are very successful, but this time they robbed the wrong person in the wrong place, which resulted in them ending up in the hospital with multiple broken bones, multiple organ failures, countless bruises and minor head injuries with severe concussions instead of their victim. In English, their condition looks as if they had been run over several times by a bulldozer.

For now, the two prisoners, named Chuck and Jack, are enjoying the sweet high of morphine coursing through their veins. Normally, prisoners aren't allowed to take morphine, but as with any rule, there are exceptions when the drug is the only way to cope with the unbearable pain of their injuries.

 Normally, prisoners aren't allowed to take morphine, but as with any rule, there are exceptions when the drug is the only way to cope with the unbearable pain of their injuries

Their nirvana is broken by the creak of the door opening and an unfamiliar doctor entering the room. Chuck, feeling slightly better than his brother, opens his eyes and looks at the strange doctor with the faded bruise around his eye and the stitches on his forehead.

Chuck: Who are you? I don't know you.

Doctor: Of course, you know me. You made me like this.

The doctor, who is none other than Connor, who managed to get into the room by stealing a doctor's coat and stethoscope from a cabinet to fool the guards, shows his face.