033. truth

TRUTH

"so. you wanna talk about it?" donghyuck finally broke the lingering silence with the question he was bound to ask. since the two of them resolved their miscommunications, he was eager to find out the reason why minji had suddenly just left for a few days

the girl who had just been staring into nothing for some time now moved her head so she could face him. she watched his eyes full of curiosity and stayed silent until she found the right words to say about the matter.

though donghyuck knew about the fact that minji's parents had split up a while ago, he never really stopped to thoroughly consider the reasons of it and therefore didn't think much of it. her parents split and her dad just moved away. that was the version in his mind. not once did he realize that he actually abandoned them.

so, since he hadn't thought about the matter for a long time, he felt surprised when she finally revealed why she'd been acting strange these past couple of days. "my dad came back." she declared and saw his face turn a little confused.

"what do you mean came back?" he asked her, completely oblivious to the whole story.

and so she told him. she told him everything from the beginning until the moment he decided to come back.

she told him the story of how she walked in on her parents fighting and finding out her dad was leaving them for another woman.

she told him how he threw a vase at her and showed him the scar on her arm.

she told him how he never once came back to see how she was doing, and she told him that he was the reason she couldn't love or trust properly.

finally, she confessed what she'd been holding onto for a long time, which she claimed didn't affect her at all. "i never told anyone this, but when i found jeno was cheating on me, it affected me more than i claimed it to." minji released a deep breath she didn't know she was holding for so long.

donghyuck hadn't spoken a word or asked a single question in between her story. he made sure to listen to everything she said and allowed her to open up to him. softly he shifted his hand and put it on top of hers, slowly caressing with his thumb.

"i told everyone i was just angry at him and that i wasn't sad about it— but really it broke my heart, cause he reminded me of my dad." she admitted with a heavy heart while he listened to her every word. "maybe i didn't love him, but it was the closest i've ever felt to it."

"so i left jeno before he could leave me, because i didn't want to be abandoned again. i always do that. i did it to yuta, i did it to taeyong, and i keep on doing it."

a saddened expression fell onto his face after hearing what she said. it was mainly out of empathy, but a part of him worried. "are you gonna do it to me too?" his desolate words felt like a stab in the heart to her.

in full honesty, she didn't know if she could answer his question truthfully without hurting his feelings. she knew their relationship wasn't bound to last, so it was inevitable that one of them would leave eventually. however, seeing the look on his face made her realize she couldn't hurt him right now, so she did what she was best at.

"of course not." she lied and forced a reassuring smile, worrying about what might happen to them when they would decide to quit the pact. she hoped they'd stay friends, but it was too unpredictable.

minji knew it was unfair to think about, especially at this stage, however she couldn't help but feel that if one of them would get hurt in this situation, it would be him. there was no doubt in her mind that she'd take the first exit whenever the time came.

luckily, she only viewed him as a friend, so that lessened the worry of her getting hurt again. she knew that as long as there were no feelings involved, they'd both be fine. for now.

"i'm sorry that happened, minji." donghyuck spoke with a soothing voice as an attempt to comfort her. briefly, he returned a smile. "thanks for trusting me enough to tell me. if you need me, know i'm there, okay?"

***

INSTAGRAM
[ k4ngminzzi ]

INSTAGRAM [ k4ngminzzi ]

***

author's note!
hi guys sorry for being so inactive lately. i've been rlly busy with uni so therefore i haven't gotten the chance to continue writing. im hoping to release more chapters soon!! meanwhile check out my new nct book love again if you haven't yet.