Chapter Twelve - Lead The Way

Chapter Twelve 

As the week passed, Sajima became increasingly aware of Sakusa's presence each morning. When he'd walk in the door, it was as if the air of the vicinity shifted, and as her eyes flickered up, they were always met with bottomless coffee-coloured eyes that connected with hers instantly. She'd smile and give him a slight wave, which he could reciprocate in a toned-down way before grabbing his drink and heading toward her to say good morning.

Every morning this week, however, Sakusa looked increasingly disappointed to see her, and Sajima didn't know what she'd done wrong. She had been chewing on the thought all week; did she say something rude? Were his teammates not fond of her after their meeting? Was he just not interested in being her friend? It was eating her up, and on Saturday morning, when he'd sat across from her with a scowl slightly turning down the corners of his lips, she just couldn't hold it in any longer. "Sakusa, are we okay?"

The man's head tilted to the side slightly, and she shrugged. "It seems like whenever we've spoken this week, you leave in a worse mood than when you came in...did I do something to upset you?"

"No, of course not." Sakusa's brow furrowed. He hadn't realized that his concern was so obvious. Each morning this week, Sajima looked increasingly exhausted; it was hard not to worry. If they were closer, he might have tried to contact the editor she seemed relatively close with, but he had no way of doing so from where they stood now. Besides, did he even have the right to care?

"Oh...then, is everything okay with you?" Sajima sat up a little straighter in her seat, the movement drawing Sakusa's attention to the cute polka dot blouse she wore that had a charming little tied bow that rested between her collarbones. She was dressed up, but what did she have planned? Was she seeing someone?

"Where are you going today?"

"Huh?"

"You look nice. Figured you were going out somewhere later," Sakusa replied, changing the subject entirely. It wasn't as if he wasn't okay, because he was, but that nagging voice in the back of his head needed to know what else was more important to her than catching up on sleep she was clearly deprived of.

Sajima wasn't expecting to be called out so quickly. She knew he was observant but figured he'd only notice her outfit once she stood up. The truth was that the Sajima was hoping to steal him away again. To go somewhere fun and explore something new together and well...the more she thought about it, the clearer it became to her that she had a crush. She hadn't meant for it to happen; she simply wanted a friend, but something about Sakusa drew her in and made her want to know more. "Honestly?"

"Mhmm," Sakusa hummed with a nod, sipping his coffee but keeping his eyes on the woman across from him and the mascara that accentuated her amber eyes.

"I was hoping I might be able to convince you to go on another escapade with me," she smiled abashedly, glancing down at the panel she was sketching for the following week's publication. "I figured if I looked more presentable, you'd be more likely to agree."

Do I really seem that shallow? Sakusa questioned himself before frowning. I have been very critical of her appearance at times...but that was before I understood why she's so unkempt.

Sakusa's silence made her chest tighten, and she cleared her throat, not wanting to look up and see him turn her down. "But it's no big deal or anything. I can just find somewhere to go by myself."

"Now, why would you think that's a good idea?" Sakusa questioned, referring to her going out by herself and the meekness that she tried to hide in the tone of her voice.