Chapter Thirty-One - I Didn't Forget It

Chapter Thirty-One

"Wow, she actually exists," Masako mused, elbowing her brother's side while Sajima was introduced to their parents.

Motoya chuckled. "She does. Didn't you watch that video I sent you?"

"Figured it was altered or something," the teenager shrugged. "Can't believe everything you see on the internet."

"That's fair. It was real, though. I watched it all happen."

"Can't believe everything you say," Mariko piped up though her attention was still on the dark-haired stranger a few feet away. "Think they're done yet?"

Masako rolled her eyes. "Probably another ten minutes of Mom and Dad fawning over her."

Having heard that, their mother, Masami, followed through with introductions. "Sumire, these are our daughters Masako and Mariko. You already know Motoya, of course."

Sajima smiled and gave a dorky wave, feeling a little anxious about simultaneously meeting so many of Sakusa's closest family members. "I'm Sumire Sajima; it's nice to meet you both." Her eyes flickered over to Motoya, and her smile widened slightly, finding relief in knowing they'd already met. "Hey, Komori."

Both women smiled politely, but naturally, the most boisterous of them all was quick to make observations. "That cardigan is cute, but you should've worn it with leggings and a long tee instead."

Sajima grinned and turned to swat Sakusa's shoulder. "I told you!" She looked back at Masako and continued. "He told me to wear whatever's comfortable for me because it's just a 'regular dinner,' but when I walked out of my room with this and some leggings with a tunic, Kiyoomi just gave me a once over and said, 'if that's what you've chosen then let's go.'"

Both Masako and Mariko laughed, and so she went on. "So obviously, after a comment like that, I had him choose just like I had asked before, and these were his edits. The only thing he kept was the cardigan."

"You say that as if I told you what you were wearing was hideous," Sakusa rolled his eyes. "You misunderstood my comment."

"You would've said it looked good if you thought that," Sajima pointed out cheekily.

"She's got ya there," Motoya chuckled.

Sakusa shook his head with a sigh, and his uncle Masahiro patted his back. "There's no use fighting it, kid. Let's go sit down."

Masami shooed them all away with a flick of her wrist. "Yes, yes, all of us. Let's get out of the entryway."

With the hands tangled together, Sakusa led Sajima to the living room, and they settled comfortably with Motoya on Sakusa's other side. Masahiro flipped on the TV from his reclining chair while his wife and daughters took the second couch.

"It's kind of unsettling to have all of us in here at the same time," Mariko pointed out.

Masako agreed. "Super weird."

"Oh, hush, you two. It's not every day that Kiyoomi brings a...um...friend over?"

Motoya snickered at how his mother fumbled, but Sajima simply shrugged, unbothered by the word being used to describe her. Sakusa, on the other hand, was concerned that if he didn't say anything, Sajima might begin to sow another tiny seed of doubt in her mind, and he wasn't about to risk that. "We're dating," he clarified.

"Oh, good," Masami hummed, her cheeks beginning to turn a rosy hue. "Well, like I was saying. It's not every day that Kiyoomi brings a girlfriend over, so there's nothing wrong with us all getting to know her better and vice versa."