Chapter Fifteen - Completely and Totally Rational

Chapter Fifteen 

The moment Sakusa sat across from Sajima the following morning, he knew she hadn't slept more than a few hours. She tried to hide behind her makeup, but that couldn't disguise her bloodshot eyes. Even the way she presented herself felt off. While she was dressed for comfort in her leggings and an oversized Sailor Moon sweater with her hair pulled up into a ponytail, her posture was much worse, and she slouched so that her chin was resting in her hand as she worked on a panel. "You didn't sleep last night, did you?"

"Hello to you, too," she smiled with a soft laugh.

Sakusa didn't say anything in response as he awaited the answer he already knew but needed to hear straight from her. Sajima took a moment to note how, once again, his mood seemed low and realized that when she asked him about it the day before, he had changed the subject entirely. She didn't want to force him to talk about something he didn't want to, but she was also concerned and felt compelled to help. "You're sad again," she noted. "What happened?"

He narrowed his eyes ever so slightly. "Why are you avoiding my question?"

Sajima pointed the end of her marker at him after she clipped the cap back on. "You avoided mine yesterday, so you go first."

"I've been worried," Sakusa admitted point blank. He didn't see any way around it anymore, and he wouldn't lie when she asked him so directly. "How much sleep have you actually gotten this week?"

Sajima frowned, a line creasing her forehead in the process. "You're changing the subject again."

"I've been worried about you, Sajima," Sakusa explained simply to avoid any more miscommunication. "You can't tell me no one else has noticed you're sleep deprived. It's been over a week now."

Me? Sakusa's been worried about me this whole time?

"Kaneshi didn't say anything about sleep when we were working last night...."

"Pack up your things, Sajima," Sakusa instructed firmly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"You don't have to be mad. If you don't want to hang out, th–"

With a sigh, he dropped his shoulders and shook out his arms. "I suppose the tough love approach doesn't work on you. Well, regardless. I'm not angry, but I will be soon if you don't start recognizing your limits."

"Sakusa, I already told you that I'm fine. I'm still functioning and alert, so I hardly think I've passed any limit."

"I don't think you understand the difference between surviving and thriving. Your body is running on fumes. You're going to get seriously sick if you don't rest." He reached out and gently rested his hand on hers. "I've seen it happen before, and I'd hate to see it again, especially with you."

"Except you work with athletes, Sakusa. I'm nowhere near as active as you all are, so it's hardly a risk," Sajima hummed, offering him a sweet smile. "I really appreciate you worrying about me, though."

"Overexertion can leave anyone hospital-bound, Sajima." Sakusa stood up, took a wide step beside her, and placed his hands on the back of her chair. "I'm taking you back to your apartment so you can sleep whether you get up from this chair willingly or I have to carry you on it all the way there myself."

Tilting her head back to look at him, Sajima was met with fierce, deep brown eyes daring her to refuse. "You wouldn't," she tried to call his bluff.

Rather than reply, Sakusa bent his knees and secured his hands on the sides of her seat, lifting it a few inches from the floor until Sajima admitted defeat. "Okay! Okay! Fine, you win. I'll pack up my stuff and go home."