Chapter Twenty-Six - Never Do That Again

Chapter Twenty-Six

While Sakusa slept in the chair he'd pulled up as close to her bed as possible, their hands tangled together, Sajima argued with Takeuchi in a hushed tone. "I don't care. I'm not taking a break."

"This isn't up for debate, Sumire," Takeuchi rolled his eyes. "Six months."

Sajima's eyes widened, and she nearly choked on her spit. "SIX MONTHS?!" She whispered sharply, cringing as she felt Sakusa's hand twitch. She glanced over quickly to ensure he was still asleep before glaring at Takeuchi. "Our readership will tank. Everyone will forget about Yusuke. No way. No. Just no."

"Your well-being is more important than this manga. We're putting the story on hiatus; it was discussed in our meeting this morning."

"One week."

Takeuchi scoffed. "Is that a joke? Sumire, you're in the hospital because you've been working yourself too hard."

"I'm in the hospital because I fell and hit my head."

"And because you haven't slept more than eight hours in five days and are severely dehydrated," Takeuchi's expression fell flat. "You need a break. We'll discuss workflow once we get closer to publishing again to ensure it's manageable."

"You're not counting my power naps in that total," Sajima weakly rebutted.

"Six months."

"Two weeks."

"Six. Months."

"...Four weeks."

"Five months," Takeuchi rolled his eyes.

Got him! Sajima thought, knowing that once he started bartering with her, she could be closer to getting what she wanted. "One month."

"That's literally what I just turned down. How hard did you hit your head?"

"I thought you wouldn't notice," she mumbled under her breath before clearing her throat and speaking up. "Five weeks."

Takeuchi tossed his head back with an annoyed groan. "Three months, and that's my bottom line."

"Two months."

"Deal."

The editor stuck out his hand. "Shake on it. Two months." He walked over and nudged the bottom of Sakusa's chair. "Volleyball boy, we need a witness. Sumire agreed on taking a two month hiatus."

Sakusa rubbed his eyes with his free hand and looked over at Sajima. "Why not three?"

"Two months is already forever," she whined.

Sakusa glanced up at Takeuchi knowing full well that two months was what he had planned for but hoped she'd be willing to take more time. "Then I guess you better shake on it before he changes his mind."

Without hesitation, Sajima shook Takeuchi's hand, and when his lips curled up into a wry smile as they separated, her eyes narrowed at him. "You son of a bitch. This was your plan all along, wasn't it?!"

Takeuchi shrugged while Sakusa coughed in an attempt to cover his laugh, and Sajima redirected her glare. "You knew, and you didn't say anything?! You're supposed to be on my side, Sakusa!"

"Ensuring you're in good health is being on your side," Sakusa pointed out. "We're all a united front on this, Sajima."

"I hate you," she grumbled.

Sakusa raised an eyebrow at her. "Is that so?"

Sajima puffed her cheeks out, and Sakusa poked one. "You look like a chipmunk."