Chapter 5: Agatha's Discovery

Though the princesses of purity were all bunked in threes, Agatha and Y/n ended up with their own room.

A pink glass staircase connected all five floors of Purity Tower, spiraling in a carved replica of Rapunzel's endless hair. The door to Agatha and Y/n's gift floor room had a glittery sign covered in hearts: "Welcome Reena, Agatha, Y/n!" But Reena didn't stay long. Reena, blessed with luscious Arabian skin and brilliant gray eyes, struggled to move her enormous trunk into the room, only to find Agatha and move it right back out.

"She just looks so evil," Y/n heard her sob. "I don't want to die!"

"Move in with me," she heard Beatrix say. "The fairies will understand."

And indeed, the fairies did understand. So the two girls had the room to themselves, which they didn't mind at all.

The room was absolutely gorgeous in Y/n's eyes. Massive, jeweled mirrors stared back from pink walls. Elaborate murals flaunted beautiful princesses kissing dashing princes. Arching over each bed was a white silk canopy, shaped like a royal carriage and a glorious fresco of clouds blanketed the ceiling tiles, with smiling cupids shooting love arrows from puffy perches. Agatha moved as far as she could from all of it and crouched in the window nook, black dress bunched against pink wall. She moved over to the window to comfort her.

 She moved over to the window to comfort her

(Imagine this but multiple beds. This was the closest image I could find to describe it.)

"Hey, it's okay," Y/n said, trying to embrace her but Agatha pushed her away. No matter how much Y/n tried, Agatha would never let her be touchy.

The two girls stared out of the window. Through the window, they could see the sparkling lake around the Good Towers turn into sludgy moat midway across to protect the Evil ones. "Halfway Bay," the girls had called it. Deep in the fog, the thin stone bridge reached across the waters to connect the two schools.

"Where did you go when you tried to escape earlier?" Y/n asked.

"I went to go find Sophie," Agatha mumbled.

"And?"

"I saw her for a moment but the wolves dragged her back into the school."

There was silence.

"We need to find a way out of here Y/n," Agatha said, sadly. "This place isn't for us."

"You're right but how would we even get back? We were flown here through a thunderstorm."

"There's gotta be some way."

Agatha climbed onto the window ledge, clinging to a glass beam.

"What are you doing?" Y/n said, following her.

Agatha tiptoed to the side of the ledge, craned her head around the corner, and almost fell from surprise.

"Agatha!"

"I'm fine!"

"You're crazy!"

"Don't follow me. I'll be right back."

Y/n let out a frustrated groan and climbed back into the room. If there was anything Y/n wasn't a fan of, it was heights. She loved her friend dearly but she wasn't ready to fall off the side of the school to go after her.

She left the window open in case Agatha wanted to climb back in and she walked over to one of the fluffy beds. She spun so her back was facing the bed and then she slowly fell back, her back colliding with the mattress. It felt like she was lying on a comfy cloud.

"What am I going to do?" Y/n said out loud. "Agatha hates it here and Sophie is in the wrong school."

Y/n let out a loud sigh and yanked herself up off of the bed. She smoothed out her puffy pink dress and walked over to the door, cracking it open.

Fifty beautiful girls in pink pinafores were packed in the hallway, giggling, gossiping, trading dresses, shoes, bags, bangles, creams, and anything else they had brought in their gigantic trunks, while fairies buzzed between, trying in vain to round them up for the Welcoming.

Before Y/n could close the door, Kiko spotted her through the hubbub.

"Y/n!" She cried.

She ran over and opened the door so now Y/n was exposed to the girls standing in the hallway. She had the biggest, brightest smile spread across her face.

"Hey Kiko," Y/n said, smiling.

"Are you ready for the Welcoming?"

"What's the Welcoming?"

"It's where both schools meet together and we get to learn the rules. Most importantly, we finally get to see the boys!"

"I'm surprised I haven't seen any of them yet."

"They're getting ready for the Welcoming. You'll see."

Kiko grabbed Y/n's hand and brought her down the hallway as each of her classmates streamed through the foyer in two perfect lines. The fairies made sure each of the princesses stayed together and went in the right direction.

As Y/n followed Kiko, she noticed a door creak open and someone peeked out. She knew that familiar face all too well.

"Agatha," Y/n whispered.

Agatha saw her and quickly jumped out of the room into the pink parade.

"I need to speak to you," Agatha whispered. "About something I just saw."

"What did you see?" Y/n questioned.

"When I left the room, I ended up in the gallery of good and I discovered something terrible. All of these stories that we had believed in, about the children who left Gavaldon, never got their happy endings. They never made it back to Gavaldon."

"Wait what? What happened to them?"

"If you don't become royalty, you become a servant to the royalty, an animal or a plant. Once you die, you become nothing but an object on a shelf. All of these people from Gavaldon were in that room, dead. Do you know what that means?"

"No, no that can't be true."

"Y/n, if we don't get out of here we're going to end up like them. There is no way we'll become princesses like these girls."

Y/n's eyes went wide as she panicked internally. This place seemed so good and innocent, she never would've thought something like this would happen. She thought for a moment until she finally nodded.

"Okay, we need to get out of here. You're right, this place isn't for us," Y/n said reluctantly.

"Okay good. I know where the School Master's tower is. If we speak to him, he'll be able to help us get home. We just need to find Sophie first."

"Agreed."