Chapter 6: Boys

Each school had its own entrance to the Theater of Tales, which was split into two halves. The west doors opened into the side for the Good students, decorated with pink and blue pews, crystal friezes, and glittering bouquets of glass flowers. The east doors opened into the side for Evil students, with warped wooden benches, carvings of murder and torture, and deadly stalactites dangling from the burnt ceiling. As students made their way to their halves for the Welcoming, fairies and wolves guarded the marble aisle between them.

As Y/n and Agatha walked into the theater, they noticed their blonde-haired friend walk in with the Nevers. They immediately walked over to her and Agatha tackled her in a hug.

"I found the School Master's tower! It's in the moat and there are guards, but if we can just get up there then we can—"

"Hi! Nice to see you! Give me your clothes," said Sophie, staring at Agatha's pink dress.

"Huh?"

"Quick! It will solve everything."

"You can't be serious! Sophie, we can't stay here!"

"Fine, Y/n give me your dress then."

"Sophie I'm not giving you my clothes in front of hundreds of students."

"I need to be in your school and you need to be in mine. Just like we talked about, remember?" Sophie said to Agatha.

"But your father, Y/n's grandmother, my mother, my cat!" Agatha sputtered. "You don't know

what they're like here! They'll turn us into snakes or squirrels or shrubbery! Sophie, we have to get back home!"

"She's right Sophie. This place isn't for us. I know Gavaldon is a shit hole but we need to go back."

"Why? What do I have in Gavaldon to go back to?" Sophie said.

"You have... um, you have..." Agatha tried to think of something.

"Right. Nothing. Now, my dress, please."

Agatha and Y/n both looked at each other and then back at Sophie before crossing their arms.

"Then I'll take it myself," Sophie scowled.

Right as she grabbed Agatha by her flowered sleeve, something made her stop cold. Sophie listened and then took off like a panther. She slid under benches, dodged villains' feet,

ducked behind the last pew, and peeked around it.

"I don't know what's gotten into you," Agatha said, following after her.

"I'm not dealing with this." Y/n rolled her eyes and then walked over to the bench, sitting next to Kiko.

Y/n looked around as all of the girls bolted upright. The sounds that Sophie heard grew louder and louder and soon Y/n realized what the girls were so happy about. From the hall, the sounds of stomping boots and clashing of steel grew closer until the west doors flew open to sixty gorgeous boys in a swordfight.

Sun-kissed skin peeked through light blue sleeves and stiff collars; tall navy boots matched high-cut waistcoats and knotted slim ties, each embroidered with a single gold initial. As the boys playfully crossed blades, their shirts came untucked from tight beige breeches, revealing slender waists and flashes of muscle. Sweat glistened on glowing faces as they thrust down the aisle, boots cracking on marble, until swiftly the swordfight climaxed, boys pinning boys against pews. In a last chorus of movement, they drew roses from their shirts and with a shout of "Milady!" threw them to the girls who most caught their eye.

In the decayed pews, the villains booed the princes, brandishing banners with "NEVERS RULE!" and "EVERS STINK!" With a bow, the princes blew kisses to villains and prepared to take their seats when the west doors suddenly slammed open again. One more walked in.