Chapter 9: Foes to Friends

After the fire, Agatha was locked in her room for two days, allowed out only to use the toilet and accept meals of raw vegetables and prune juice from scowling fairies. Y/n was able to come in and out of the room as she pleased because she "wasn't responsible for the chaos" according to Princess Uma.

So Y/n had to roam the halls alone while her friend was locked away. Classes were canceled until the fire could be brought under control and the mess was cleared.

Y/n didn't mind missing out on classes. She enjoyed her alone time even without her best friend. As much as she loved her friends, the times when she was able to walk around the school without company brought her peace.

Though during one of Y/n's walks, her peace was interrupted by the sound of an annoying voice.

"Y/n! Wait!" The voice called as they ran up to her.

She closed her eyes and let out a loud sigh, lowering her head. She knew that voice all too well.

"Go away Tedros," Y/n groaned.

"Can we talk? Please." He slowed to a stop behind Y/n and she turned around to face him. It didn't occur to her how hard she had punched him. The boy whose face was always perfect now had a black and blue eye from where she had hit him.

"You got me pretty good," Tedros chuckled.

"You deserved it," Y/n replied.

"I did not." Y/n started to walk off but Tedros put both of his hands up to stop her. "But I don't know exactly what happened. If you told me, maybe that would change my mind."

"No matter what I would say, you wouldn't change your mind. You always act before you think."

"Try me."

"That "filthy, evil beast" that you killed was nothing more than a scared little boy. He was trapped in that body and Agatha was freeing him before you ended his life."

"I don't follow. How could that thing be a boy?"

"Because, Tedros, not everyone gets to be a hero like you. Some people get trapped in bodies that they don't wish to be in. They never asked to become a gargoyle or an animal or a plant. They were just kids," Y/n said with sadness. "They were kids."

There was silence for a moment. Y/n had nothing more to say to him while Tedros was trying to find the right words. He had never met a girl that made him speechless before. He wasn't sure how to feel about it.

"I apologize. Not only to you but to the boy that I killed because I wasn't thinking right. Just seeing my father's memorial destroyed flipped a switch in me," Tedros said regretfully. "If I could take it all back then I would."

"Unfortunately, you can't take it back," Y/n said annoyed but then she softened when she saw his face. He was no longer the brave, cocky prince she had first met. He was nothing more than a boy who didn't know how to behave because of his upbringing. "But that doesn't mean you can't learn from it."

Tedros looked up and gave Y/n a small smile.

"I think we got off on the wrong foot. Let's start over." Y/n held out her hand. "I'm Y/n. Y/n L/n."

Tedros's smile grew even wider and he took her hand, this time shaking it instead of kissing it.

"I'm Tedros. Tedros Pendragon. I am very happy to meet you officially, Y/n," Tedros said happily.

And after that moment, Y/n and Tedros became good friends. You couldn't find one without the other, though usually it was Y/n trying to be alone while Tedros was trying to find her.

The fire must've been brought under control quickly because classes resumed after lunch on the third day. Agatha was free to go after her talk with Professor Dovey. Apparently, she had received a first rank for her performance in Animal Communication for making a wish come to life. Y/n was relieved that her friend would be able to continue her classes as long as Agatha didn't break another rule. But knowing how her friend was and the circumstances they were in, she knew that Agatha would get into more trouble to get to Sophie, who they were going to see in their next class.

*Hey guys! I'm sorry it's been taking so long to get the chapters out. I've been so busy with my trips and work and school that I haven't been able to get to writing. I know this one's short but I'll make sure to get to writing more. Let me know if you have any feedback!*