Chapter 14: Lessons Learned

Lunch took place in the Clearing, a picnic field outside the Blue Forest gates. To get to the Clearing, students had to journey through tunnels of trees that grew narrower and narrower, until the children came through a hollowed trunk onto emerald grass. As soon as Y/n and Tedros came through the Good tunnel, they followed the line of Evers receiving picnic baskets from nymphs in red hoods, while Nevers from the Evil tunnel took rusty pails from red-suited wolves.

As they grabbed their baskets, Y/n looked over to see Agatha sitting in a shady spot by herself.

"Go sit with her," Tedros spoke next to her. "I'll go sit with the princes. She needs a friend."

Y/n smiled at him and then walked over to her friend. She sat down next to Agatha and reached into her basket to find a lunch of smoked trout sandwiches, rampion salad, strawberry soufflé, and a vial of sparkling lemon water.

"Looks delicious doesn't it," Agatha stated. "I was just about to dig into mine."

Just as Y/n was about to take a bite of her sandwich... Sophie swiped it.

"You don't know what I've been through," she sobbed, scarfing it whole. "Here's yours." She plunked down a pail of gruel.

Y/n and Agatha stared at her.

"Look, I asked," Sophie garbled between bites. "Apparently Nevers need to learn deprivation. Part of your training. This is lovely, by the way."

Y/n looked at Sophie's pail and then back at Y/m. Agatha hadn't taken her eyes off of her.

"What?" Sophie said. "Do I have blood on my teeth? Because I thought I got it all."

"Here Y/n you can have mine," Agatha spoke as she handed her the basket.

"We can share it." Y/n split the sandwich in half and handed one half to Agatha. "Thank you."

"Have you told her yet?" Sophie asked.

"Told me what?" Y/n said, finishing off her sandwich.

"We learned something about you Y/n. It's important," Agatha spoke.

"Oh?" Y/n said, raising an eyebrow.

"So we went to see the School Master," Agatha started. "And we learned something."

"Something about me?" Y/n looked at both of them.

"There's a pen called the Storian. It writes everyone's fairytales and it basically keeps track of certain people's lives to make their fairytale."

"So what does this have to do with me?"

"It's writing your story right now Y/n," Sophie said annoyed.

"Wait what?" Y/n looked between the two girls. "How do you know?"

"We saw it writing about you. There was a picture of you and Tedros when you first met in the hallway. It's writing about your story here," Agatha stated. "And now we're not allowed to go home until your story is over."

"How does my story end..?"

"The School Master gave us a riddle. He said once we solve it, then we'll be able to go home," Agatha finished.

"And the riddle is?"

"What's the one thing Evil can never have and the one thing Good can never do without?"

Y/n thought for a moment but then shook her head. "I have no idea what that means. I'm not good at riddles."

"Neither are we apparently," Sophie groaned.