𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

...

THE stench of sweat, weed, alcohol, and cheap perfume fills my nose as i wander around the fraternity house. I stumble to the bathroom to freshen myself up. I look in the mirror and see mascara smudged, some of my hair stuck to my forehead, and my hawaiian button up haldfway tucked into my blue jean shorts. God, i look awful. I gently splash my face with some water and clean off the sweat and mascara and apply some more from the small tube in my pocket.

I throw my hair up into a messy bun and untuck my shirt. I take my hands and smoothe dowm my white crop top and relace up my beat up white hightop converse. I'm not really much of a costume person and this party was last minute, so i just had Mindy, Anika, and Tara throw something together for me. I go out a lot. Partying with my friends is the only think that keeps me sane right now.

I finish up and head back down the stairs to the drink table. I grab a beer and spot Mindy and Anika on the couch. "Hey Jes!" Anika greets as i sit next to the couple. I smile at her then open the beer in my hand. The alcohol burns my throat as i take a swig. Tonight is the night that i'll be able to let loose and forget about Woodsboro, about my past. About my old self.

"It doesn't bother you?" Anika asks Mindy. "I mean, being at a house party after you were almost brutally murdered at a house party?" Anika asks Mindy. "No, i think of it like being struck by lightining. The odds of it happening twice to the same person are extremely low." Anika throws her legs over Mindy. "I guess i'll just have to stay close to you then."

Anika and Mindy start making out so i get up and look around for any other familiar faces, not wanting to third wheel the couple. I spot Chad and Ethan jumping in a corner so i walk over to them. "Alright, alright. Hey, cheers man." Chad hands Ethan a shot. They both down it and Ethan spits his out back in the cup.

"We gotta get you a girlfriend." He looks around the party and spots a girl in a harry potter costume. "How about her?" Ethan looks at her, "She's gorgeous.", "Great, ask her out." Chad says. "What, no, i can't" Ethan says. "Ask her out! Ask her out! Ask her out! Ask her out!!!" Chad repeatedly smacks his chest. "Shut up, shut up!" Ethan jokes. "You have to have confidence. Plus, look at you man, you're a snack. You're practically an entire meal all on your own!" Chad encourages. "Really?" he asks. "Yeah, isn't he Jes?" I turn to face Ethan and look him up and down. "Oh yeah, definitely the whole package deal." I add on, slapping his chest gently. He turns to hide his blushing face, but he was too slow. I let out a small chuckle.

"I-I can't do it man." Ethan says. "Yes, you can!" Chad yells to the girl in the harry potter costume, "Hey, my friend here, he's a snack, right?"  the girl looks at Ethan, smiles pitifully, then goes back to dancing and laughing with her friends. "What does that mean?" Ethan asks clueless. "It's fine." Chad replies, not answering his question.

"What does that mean?" He asks turning to me. "It's nothing. She's not interested. It's her loss anyways." I smile at him. I take his helmet from his head and put it on mine. "It looks better on you." Ethan says.

"Hey, big guy, you're needed." Anika leads Chad over to Tara and Frankie. "Hey partner, Tara's good down here." Chad steps in as Frankie leads Tara up the stairs. "Sorry bro, i didn't catch that." Frankie smirks. "Uh, yeah, you did." Tara walks down the stairs and grabs Chad by the bandana around his neck. "It's fine, i want to."

"No you don't, Tara. You're drunk." I chime in. "You heard her, she wants to." Frankie grabs her arn and drags her back up, causing her to trip on the stairs and fall. "Hey! Get your sticky greasy frat bitch hands off her!" I yell. I walk up to Frankie and punch him square in the nose. He throws his head back in pain as blood drips down his face. "Bitch!" Frankie pushes me down the stairs. "Get the fuck off of them." Chad jumps in pushing Frankie away from both me and Tara. "Woah, hey, you okay?" Ethan asks. He helps me off of the ground and puts his arm in front of my body protectively, glaring harshly at Frankie. I look at my hand and its starting to bleed and bruise from how hard i punched him.