~5~

"Yo! Awä, we're going back to the village. You coming with us?" I opened my eyes and rubbed them. I hadn't realized I fell asleep. "I'm fine, Ca'uk. Go, I'll come home later." He gave a nod, and I watched them leave. "Finally..." I muttered to myself as I got to my knees then stood up, stretching. I walked in a different direction, going deeper into the forest. After a while of walking, I began to jog then into a full-blown sprint. I dodged branches and jumped over tree roots, of course making sure I didn't run into the occasional animals. I smiled as I felt the wind blow through my hair. I looked up as I kept running, I looked ahead and saw a rock. I jumped onto the rock then jumped, grabbing a branch, and hoisting myself up in a single motion. I started to run through the trees, jumping and stepping onto each branch carefully.

I slowed as I heard voices. I moved more quietly as I saw figures moving and speaking. I climbed higher on the tree and peeked my head around, seeing them. "Come on, Colonel. They gotta be here somewhere." I heard one of them speak. 'What's a Colonel?' I mentally asked myself. I looked at their outfits more closely and saw them. I looked at one holding a gun and saw their hands. I held back a hiss, they were dream walkers, demons in false bodies. I watched them more closely than saw two step up.

My heart stopped as I looked at them, my breath hitching in my throat. "Shut it, Padger. I'm talking to Lyle." The supposed Colonel spoke, his voice rough, deep, and commanding. "Colonel, we have been tracking their location, but they just disappeared." The Colonel sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "They couldn't just disappear off the face of this planet, Lyle." The other person named Lyle nodded but also shrugged. I put my hand over my mouth as I felt a branch give out underneath me. I grabbed the tree and put my back against it.

"WHO'S THERE?" I held my breath as I stood completely still. I had soft clicks of the weird weapons they held in their hands and footsteps. I took a deep breath and scanned my surroundings. I took a very big breath before moving my body to go into another tree. "THERE!" I yelped and jumped out of the way as I felt something go past my head. I look infront of me, seeing a hole in the wood. I touched it, curious. "HEY!" I whipped my head around and looked down, seeing the people having their mechanical weapons pointed at me. I felt my tail start to wrap around my leg, my brain clearly telling me I'm scared, and I should run.

That's exactly what I did, I ran. I didn't care that branches were hitting my body and leaving marks and wounds. I kept running until I was close to the village. I couldn't hear their footsteps and the shots stopped. I pushed past people as I ran to my parents' hut. I bursted in, my father and mother looking at me. The new Na'vis were there as while. "Awä, what is the meaning of this? Why are you covered in bruises?" I wheezed, holding my stomach. The pain had finally hit me. My father stood up.

He walked over and caught me by my arms before I fell to my knees. He put me down and knelt infront of me, placing his hand over my racing heart. "Awä..." I looked up, breathing heavily. "The dream walkers...I saw them...They tried to kill me, father..." 

~~~~~~~~~~

619 Words