Chapter 5

'Paper Planes'

"Have you heard about the Kick Back yet?" Jade whispers to me once I've sat down in our English class.
"Where were you at lunch?" I ask, mimicking her volume, ignoring her previous question.
"Are you going to the Kick Back?" She asks, ignoring my question in return.
"I don't know what that is. Where were you?" I give in, hoping she'd answer one of my questions in return.
"In the janitor's closet. It's a party thrown in the car park every year, there's a cheese fountain. It's this month." She explains.
"Sounds lame. Why were you in the closet?" I comment.
"You're coming. And I was stabbing stuff" She demands. "It's a Hollywood Arts tradition. You have to come." She adds.
"Fine. And you have issues" I sigh.
"I'll text you when I find out about the exact date. And I do not have issues. Watch it, I still have those scissors." She informs.
"You don't have my number. And you wouldn't hurt me, you love me too much." I joke.
"Give me your phone." She orders. I hand it over to her, she clearly didn't appreciate my joke. She puts the contact name as 'Jade' with a black heart, there's a surprise. I stick my phone back into my pocket and get to work after receiving a few stares from the teacher.

"Jade, Y/n, come talk to me." Miss Baker calls once class is over. "Since you both think it's okay to go on your phones in class, and talk, I've decided to give you detention. I won't take the disrespect." She comments once everyone else has left.
"I was just helping Y/n, since she's new and all." Jade scavenges for an excuse, using a sweeter tone of voice when talking.
"You and I both know you're not nice enough to show a new student around. Detention after school." She finishes, turning her attention away from the two of us. I'm looking down at my feet, wondering how I managed to get detention on the second day when I'm suddenly being dragged away.

"You need to stop doing that." I groan once we've stopped at my locker.
"No, I do what I want." She comments. "Put your shit away." She demands. I roll my eyes, huffing at her sudden attitude change, though this is what I heard she was like. I chuck my stuff in my locker then turn to her as we walk to hers which is down the hall from mine. "Have you decided what you're going to do on it yet?" She asks, seemingly having calmed down now.
"I'm going to cover it in pages from my favourite books and poems." I reply.
"Cute." She smirks.
"Are you being serious or are you making fun of me?" I ask, never knowing with her.
"I'm being serious, it fits you." She replies, putting her stuff into her locker, which was unsurprisingly covered in scissors stabbed through it.
"Anyone could look into your locker, y'know." I say, picking at some of the scissors.
"They wouldn't dare." She responds.
"Why are people scared of you?" I ask.
"I can be mean when I want to. You're just a nice break from your sisters so I decided to be nice to you." She reasons.
"Uh huh, not because I gave you alcohol?" I chuckle.
"Shut up, we're going now." She takes my hand once again, dragging me to another classroom, I'm guessing detention.

I spent most of the hour making paper planes and throwing them at Jade to annoy her, and to pass time since it was so boring, and it definitely worked, I received a lot of looks from her.
"Just wait until we're out of here." She turns to look at me, staring daggers, gritting her teeth.

Slinging the remainder of my stuff into my locker once detention was over, I check my phone to see that Tori messaged asking where I was. I forgot to tell her I was in detention so that'll be an earful I'll receive once I get home.
"What was with the paper planes?" Husks the familiar voice of Jade once I closed my locker. She pushes me against the lockers, towering over me. Now I see why people are scared of her.
"Innocent fun." I try to reply confidently but my voice comes out shaky.
"Awh, Y/n/n, where's my cocky Vega gone?" She teases. Her face is close to mine, closer than I've ever been to her, our breaths almost mixing as her body practically presses my body against the wall of lockers. "Come on, baby girl, we're going." She smirks as she drags me out of the hallway by my wrist. What just happened?

It takes me a moment to walk properly again, my legs were a little shaky from how Jade just acted. That's not how I thought she would be, especially after her breakup with Beck, though maybe this was normal for her, it just made me feel things that I didn't think I would.

We get to my car and I drop Jade off before heading home, but once I arrive home I realise that I forgot to give Jade her coffee cup back. I head inside to see Tori on the couch.
"Thanks for the message. I waited for you by your locker for like 20 minutes." She rolls her eyes sarcastically.
"I have my own car, why'd you wait?" I ask, washing up the cup.
"To talk to you about the Jade and Beck thing." She replies, now putting down her phone.
"It's none of our business." I respond, now drying the cup, sick of this.
"I know, but answer my one question, please." She almost begs.
"Fine." I reply, waiting for her to ask.
"Do you like Jade more than a friend?" She asks.
"Tori, don't be stupid, I've known her for like 2 days. I'm gonna go return this to her." I reply, grabbing my keys and heading out the door.