Chapter 11

"Jewel?" Pearl calls me for the second time. This time, her voice manages to break the trance I've been trapped in for the past few seconds and my journalist instinct takes over, making me rush out of the hotel at once with a thousand thoughts in my head. I can't let them see me right now. By them, I mean Red and Lars. Lars who I thought was dead. Lars, my fiancé whom I mourned...

"Jewel, what's wrong?" Pearl follows me outside with a worried face.

"I'm sorry, I thought I left my phone on the bus but here it is." I take it out of my pocket and show it to her.

"LOL! You scared me. You looked like you saw a ghost!" Well.......... That's kind of true.

"Uhm, listen, I'm going to my room as I really have to go to the bathroom. So, we meet later?" I'm struggling to keep my cool.

"Sure", she says, and I run back inside. I look around to see if they are around, but I don't see them anymore. I rush to my room and close the door.

I am hot. My thoughts and emotions are in chaos. I'm surprised at how I managed to stay calm. When I saw him, I was so shocked that I couldn't move. I wanted to run to him and crash in his arms, but my feet were rooted in place. But then I saw her... next to him, giggling and laughing all happy and that gave me this weird feeling.

I walk around the room in deep thought. What are they doing here? Did he fake his own death? Why did he fake his death? Did Red know about this? But I saw his body. We all saw it. We held a funeral for him. How is that possible? And Red... What could--?

I run my fingers through my hair, feeling completely lost. I'm feeling overwhelmed. I'm not having any time to process all the emotions that I'm feeling. I don't know how to react. I don't know how I should feel. So much is happening at once and I can't choose which one to focus on. Should I focus on how happy I am that he's alive? Or should I be angry that he faked his death? Did he really fake his death? If yes, why? And why is Red involved? Nothing is making sense!

Why would the king of Axes fake his own death? Did he not like his life? Did he want to get away from everything? Including me? He's the King. He could've done whatever he wanted to. No one could go against him. And I know that he loved me. No one could say otherwise. Then why?

Does Red have something to do with this? After all, she was with Lars when he was poisoned. Was he really poisoned? If he was, how is he still alive? And why is he here with her? Is he being threatened? Like what happened with Dominic?

AHHHH. I feel like my head is going to explode! I rush to the bathroom and splash my face with water several times. I look at my reflection in the mirror. What should I do? Do I inform the king and queen? What if I cause him harm by doing that? After all, they are on this secluded island because they don't want to be found. Is he in danger? I can't risk anything.

I have to find out what's happening. Only then will I be able to do something about it. I have to find out why they're here and if he's being threatened as nothing of this makes any sense.

I take my phone and call Pearl, "Hey. Listen, can you tell Lisa that I won't be able to join you guys for dinner?"

"Why? What is it?" She asks.

"I forgot my pen drive at home, and I need to work on this article of mine again." Wow, I have gotten good at lying.

"Oh god, do you need help?"

"No. Don't worry. I'll manage. I remember most of it anyway. You guys go. Have fun!"

"Okay. You want me to bring something for you?"

"No... But... I kinda need a favor?" I ask her innocently.

"Sure. Anything!"

"I saw this hot couple in the lobby when we were-"

"Oh, My god! I saw them too! That man! Phew!!! Ouh la laaaa--"

I let out a dry chuckle, "Yeah... So, is there any way you could find out what room they are in?"

"Uhmm... yeah but why," she asks.

"I was hoping to write another article, one on hot couples but I want to observe them first..."

"Sure! I'll text you the room number, but please make sure that you don't get into trouble."

I giggle, "I won't, don't worry,"

She hangs up and I lean against the bathroom sink again. I breathe again and again to clear my head. I just have to be patient. I'm used to digging for information and finding out the truth. I have been trained for this. I will find out the truth about this as well.

I go to open the door when the doorbell rings. It's the bellhop who has come with my luggage. He puts everything in and waits for me to tip him.

"There you go," I give him a generous tip with a smile.

"Thank you so much, ma'am. Please, anything at all, don't hesitate."

"Sure. Thanks" I tell him, and he leaves.

While I'm filling in the wardrobe with clothes, my phone dings and it's a message from Pearl.

She has sent me their room number and the name under which they booked the room. Red Mughart. She didn't even use her true last name.

"Thanks, have you guys gone to dinner already?"

"Yeah, we just got out. How is it going with your article?"

"Good. Enjoy your dinner hun :* " I put my phone on silent mode and put it back in my pocket.

I get out of my voyage clothes and take a quick bath. I get out of the room, determined. I will find out what is happening.

I take the direction to their room and take a quick look in their corridor first to check if the coast is clear. As soon as I take a few steps in the corridor, I see their door opening. My eyes pan up and I instinctively get behind this huge bamboo- bush deco thing.

I place my hands over my mouth and breathe as quietly as possible. It's not like they will hear me with the soft music playing over the speakers, but I can't risk it. I bend forward and listen to them.

At first, their voices are barely audible. I can't make out what they are saying but as they approach me, I hear them more clearly.

Their conversation is casual involving a few light laughs, saying how they are enjoying the hotel but what strikes me is his question.

"When can we go back?" his voice is as soft as ever. I let out a silent sigh of relief. His voice feels like music to my ears. It soothes my rushing heart. I never thought I'd hear his voice ever again... A tear makes its way to my eye and I squeeze my eyes to not cry. I'm not sad... I'm happy. I'm happy to hear his voice. Happy to know that he's here. Alive. Even if we're not together... I don't know what's happening but I'm just happy that he's here...

"Soon," she replies shortly, making me frown. What is this about? What the hell is happening?

As their voices grow distant, I quickly get out of the bush and look at them to see them about to turn around the end of the corridor to walk away. I tap my dress to brush off the bits of dried bamboo leaves and lift my head up again to see if they're gone. When I do, he turns his head toward me and our eyes meet for a second before he turns again and disappears into the other corridor.

I feel like I got zapped. The tingle that I feel throughout my body is inexplicable. And his eyes... The way they met mine... The intensity that I felt. The sentiment that I got... But... what was that? Didn't he recognize me?

I noticed this frown on his face... But... he didn't recognize me. How is that possible...?

***

*EVIL GRIN* So? What do you think? Do you like it? Were you expecting this? What do you think happened? What's gonna happen now? :P

Please vote and comment! <3