unfathomable

__

__

2023

__

Everyone liked to tease Hongjoong for his sleeping habits, but San always fell asleep in the most ridiculous places that the elder couldn't understand why he was such a primary target.

He'd found San sleeping on the toilet once, pants down to his ankles and head resting across his knees.

He slept on jolting bus rides and shaky airplanes and was never one to refuse the fucking floor of all places.

He was unfathomable, but Hongjoong couldn't help but smile gently when he finally made his way off stage, where San was dozing off in the makeup chair, lips pink and eyelids sparkling.

There was a young woman still trying to apply color across his cheeks even with San dead to the world, head lolling and jerking around as he fought to stay awake with a tempered whine.

Hongjoong instinctively stepped forward, fingers curling around the back of his hair as he carefully held the younger's head up.

San flinched away from him, forcing a yelp from the woman who pulled away her brushes and hurriedly wiped a smudge away from San's cheek as he turned to look at Hongjoong, eyes immediately crinkling with delight.

"Hongjoong?" He squealed, lips stretching in a dazzling smile that was all sunshine giggles and wiggling shoulders, and Hongjoong felt his heart give a familiar flip.

"It's me, Sannie." He said, holding his head up with more intention than before now that the boy was awake.

San hummed and leaned back against him, letting his neck relax.

"I knew you were useful for something." San muttered, and Hongjoong didn't hesitate to abruptly drop his hold on him, watching with breathless laughter as the younger's head fell back at an awkward angle.

"Keep doing what you're doing and snap your neck. See if I care."

San shook with the force of his laughter, sleeves pulled over his hands when he brought them up to cover the width of his smile.

He pouted at Hongjoong through the mirror.

"Grumpy, hyung. C'mere."

Hongjoong felt his breath catch when the younger reached behind him, immediately catching a fistful of his shirt to yank him closer.