nerves

__

__

2019

__

Hongjoong recognized the moment San woke up, eyes dashing across the room in the darkness to catch the boy rustling beneath the sheets.

Now that he wasn't forcing himself to ignore San to no end, he was painfully aware of his every move, tongue running out to lick his lips nervously as San sat up, scratched his neck, rolled his shoulders, and padded gently out of the room.

It was the night before they had their first official comeback, but the members decided to treat this comeback as their true debut now that things with San were settled.

Hongjoong could feel the heat in the room, the forced sighs from the various bunks where a hand full of boys were pretending to be asleep.

Hongjoong was sure they were all awake, no doubt, and it left an uncomfortable weight in his stomach, an unforgiving pull that tugged at his sides and made him claw at his face as he dragged himself out of bed, mattress springs creaking.

He found San in the living room, the area of the house that was used more as a walk in closet filled with the most randomest shit rather than a place they could, well, live.

The dark haired boy was sitting by the single window, knees drawn up to his chest, cheeks shadowed lines.

Hongjoong walked over quietly, bare feet cold across the hardwood, and sat down without a word.

He reflected San's posture, arms wrapping around his legs, and stared through the window thoughtfully as though he had joined San on his own accord.

It wasn't even a good window, made from the kind of shit glass you'd see in shower walls that make everything within sight a blurry mess, but it reflected the street lights down below and made the surrounding floor around them dusty in a dark stream of pale orange and yellow, hints of red and blue fading in and out every now and then when cars would pass idly.

Hongjoong figured the view was the kind of pretty that San always found himself searching for, the kind that was just as easily missable as it was unforgettable.

"The guys really need to clean this place up. It's a shit show in here." Hongjoong hummed, and San didn't even bother looking around the room to take in the heaps of dirty clothes and scattered shoes, paper plates and crusted over bowls surrounding the coffee table.

He looked over at Hongjoong instead, the soft tilt of his mouth giving Hongjoong the smallest brush of satisfaction.

"And by 'the guys' you mean everyone but you?"