promise

__

__

2020

__

San followed Hongjoong wordlessly through the back hallways upstairs, sneakers squeaking against scuffed tile.

He didn't say anything, but Hongjoong could tell he knew where they were going almost immediately, pace matching the elder's without confusion once he was certain of the way.

Without shame, San watched Hongjoong type in his code to the studio, chin close to resting against his shoulder.

Normally, Hongjoong would have elbowed him hard enough in the ribs to prove his insistent need for privacy, but San was smiling beside his ear in a way that said I know you won't, and Hongjoong had no intention of proving him wrong.

Besides, the thought of surprise visits from San wasn't exactly unwelcomed.

They stepped inside together and San didn't hesitate to fling himself across the couch just like he always did, in the same way he continuously accused Hongjoong of doing.

"Don't even start." Hongjoong snapped at him, already noticing the younger's sly smirk as he rolled around on the worn leather, cooking up complaints that were sure to make Hongjoong roll his eyes in agony.

San gawked at him, having the audacity to look offended.

"Hyung! You wound me, you really do."

Hongjoong made an unimpressed noise in the back of his throat, too focused on booting up the computers and glancing behind his desk to really care what the other was saying.

He got down on his knees once the screens connected and crawled under the desktop, hands searching blindly behind wires.

"I wasn't even gonna mention how shitty your couch is."

"Ah, but there it is." Hongjoong deadpanned, smiling to himself when San's laughter filled the air tight room, surrounding them indefinitely.

"Seriously, hyung. This thing is flatter than Seonghwa's ass. No cushion whatsoever. What are you gonna do when you wanna bring a girl here?"

Hongjoong whipped his head around fast enough to instantly collide with a metal bar hidden beneath his desk, vision swaying as his chest billowed out a curse.

He rested his head against the floor until the throbbing subsided, ears perked up with sudden interest that was quickly fleshing out to be annoyance.