Part 6

*Caitlin POV*
It's finally the day of our first game! I'm so pumped I can't even sit down. I woke up early because I couldn't sleep and now I'm getting dressed for our shoot around before we load the bus.
Once I'm ready I knock on y/n's door and tell her to hurry up. When she walks out I help her with her bags and we leave the room. We won't be back until tomorrow so we had to pack multiple bags.
We're halfway to the gym when I decide to grab y/n's hand. I do so without looking at her but I feel her squeeze my hand.
We didn't have practice yesterday so we haven't talked to our teammates about us yet. Today is the first day we will be seen in public as a "couple". I'm nervous and I don't know why. I kinda want my friends to approve of her as if they don't already know her. I can tell y/n is nervous so I try to reassure her.
"Hey it'll be fine. It's not like these people are strangers. Besides I'm right here beside you" I say and I add a wink.
"Thanks Caitlin. You really do know how to cheer a girl up" she laughs.
We get to the front of the gym and y/n stops for a minute to collect her nerves.
"Let's do this" she says after a minute.
We're still holding hands as we walk in. No one notices at first. Until I hear a gasp from behind us. I turn to see Gabbie and McKenna looking at us in shock.
"Hey guys...what's up?" I ask.
"You tell us" Gabbie says as they both stare at our hands.
"Oh um yeah about that...surprise?" Y/n replies.
"No way, the rumors were actually true?" I hear Monika ask from on the court.
"Ok guys yes me and y/n are dating let's not make a big deal out of it. It's a new thing" I tell everyone.
"No big deal my ass" Kate shouts "I'm so happy for y'all. We need to celebrate."
"We can celebrate after we win this game tonight ladies" Coach Bluder says as she walks in.
After Coach arrives we shoot around for an hour before we start to load the bus. I sit toward the back and share my seat with y/n. The ride will be 2 hours so I ask y/n if she wants to listen to music and take a nap with me.
Once we each have one AirPod in and y/n has closed her eyes I look up one last time to see Mon and Gabbie laughing and giving me a thumbs up. At that exact moment y/n's head falls on my shoulder. Oddly enough, I feel really happy as I drop my head in top of hers.
***
*Y/n's POV*
I feel the bus stop moving and force myself awake. I start to arrange my stuff when I notice Caitlin is still asleep...with her hand on my thigh. I start to blush and freak out. I love the feeling of her hand there and I love the way her hand makes my thigh look small in comparison.
I stare at it for a while and when I look up Caitlin is staring right back at me. She yanks her hand away fast.
"I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to get in your personal space or anything" she try's to explain while waving her handing in front of me.
"Caitlin it's fine I promise. I actually kind of liked it" I say without thinking.
Once I register what I said I start blushing even harder. She busts out in giggles.
"I'll keep that in mind for the future then" she smiles at me.
We're the only ones left in the bus at this point so I rush off to avoid any further embarrassment.
When we get in the gym we head to the locker room to get changed. Caitlin helps me fix my hair in a ponytail and then we start getting our basketball shoes on.
20 minutes before the game starts we line up outside our locker room to be called out. Once the announcer calls us we run out and begin our warmups.
I feel good about today for some reason. When warmups end we run to our bench and listen to Coach talk about the defense we will be in and who we need to watch specifically.
I don't start, which is fine. I'm a transfer after all but I'm the loudest one on the bench.
I get put in with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter and we're up by 3. Our offense is doing good and we are getting open looks. On a quick trip up the floor I get an open 3 and make it.
Once the clock runs down we hold the ball for one shot. Everyone knows who's going to get the shot but the other team still can't stop her. With 1 second left Caitlin drives by the defense and scored a layup and the buzzer goes off.
In the locker room, Coach shows us a couple of plays for fast points and a new defense to try out.
The game starts up again and it's a close one. Caitlin has 27 points,10 assists, and 8 rebounds by now.
The next time I get in there's 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
Our defense has picked up and we get a steal. I run down the floor and Gabbie passes me the ball for a transition layup which goes in.
The other team is doing pretty good and we go without scoring for 2 whole minutes but Monika ends that with a fast post up.
With 1:30 left in the game the score is 75-79. The other team scores but we inbound the ball super fast and Caitlin takes it coast to coast and scores. The game ends 77-81 Hawkeyes.
We shake the other teams hand and run to the locker room. We shout and jump on each other in excitement. Coach talks quickly because she wants us to get to the hotel and rest. We all tiredly climb back on the bus and wait to get to the hotel.
"Great first game with us y/n" some of the girls tell me.
"We all did great" I respond happily.
We get to the hotel and the coaching staff tells us our room arrangements. To no one's surprise me and Caitlin are roommates.
We're both too tired to socialize so we rush to our room to shower and go to bed. 
We walk in and are shocked to find only one bed. (Oh no) we just look at each other and decide to deal with it. I take a quick shower while Caitlin waits. Then it her turn and we takes about 30 minutes but I don't blame her. She played extremely well tonight.
Once she's out we both lay in bed when I feel the AC kick on. I start to shiver and try to steal the covers.
"Hey if you're cold we can cuddle but don't take the blankets" Caitlin whines.
"Well scoot over here then it's freezing" I tell her.
I turn toward the wall so my back is to her front. She puts her arm around my waist and one of her legs in between mine. It's super comfy and it makes me feel safe. I tell Caitlin this and she chuckles in my ear.
"I'm glad. We can do this anytime you want y/n" she whispers.
After a few minutes I can tell she's asleep by her breathing and I soon follow after her.

*Notes*
Sorry I had to sneak that one bed trope in there guys. Also sorry if my description of the game is bad. I play basketball but idk how to write about it.

As always leave comments for me plz🙏🏼