Six Years Gone

Historians would write of the conqueror returning. For six years on Dragonstone, Daemon Targaryen was never seen without one or both Targaryen Princesses. The rumors had spread that he had taken the younger Targaryen, Jesscareya, to wife just as Aegon the Conqueror had done over a century ago.

Jessica knew these rumors were false, but Daemon and Jessica loved to laugh about it as they would lie together in bed at night.

Jessica was currently reading at the painted table. Jacaerys was leaning against it, practicing High Valyrian with Maester Gerardys.
Jace huffed and turned his back to the Maester, his attention falling on Jessica. "How did you learn it Jess?"

Jessica glanced up from her current page. "Years and years of practice love."

He crossed his. "How can I take the Iron Throne one day, if I can't even speak the mother tongue."

Jessica looked up at Jace, a teasing smile on her lips. "You'll need to take a wife first, nephew."

Jace scoffed, but smiled. "It's not like you're married either."

"I have Daemon. That's marriage enough."

Both Rhaenyra and Daemon came into the hall. Neither of them looking pleased. The dismissed Jace and Joffrey. Jessica closed the book and went to take her leave when Daemon stopped her, tucking her under his arm.

"There's trouble brewing, isn't there." Jessica asked, looking between the two of them.

"Another dispute I'm afraid..." Rhaenyra sighed, tucking Jessica's hair behind her ears.

Jessica narrowed her eyes. "Surely they've put the issue to rest? It's been six years since we settled on Dragonstone. They are still going on about legitimacy?"

"It's not from Alicent this time."

Jessica looked up at Daemon.
Rhaenyra sighed. "No, but Vaemond Velaryon will seek the support of Alicent and Otto, and will probably have it."

Daemon pulled Jessica closer. "Which is why we must head to court. We will petition it as we always have."

Jessica bit her lip. "It'll be one sided, unless Father is well enough to sit the throne."

Rhaenyra cocked her head to the side. "What do you mean, Sweet Girl?"

Jessica looked from Rhaenyra to Daemon. "Just from what Helaena has written to me about. Father's health has been declining. Otto sits in his stead more and more each day. Also, Rhaenys has flown to court..."

Rhaenyra paced back and forth. "What choice do we have? Those vipers rule in our Father's  name."

"If Jessica stays behind with the babes..."

Rhaenyra looked at Daemon as if he had grown three heads. "She has no choice but to come as well. We need everyone on our side for this petition to be successful."

Rhaenyra gave Daemon a kiss, then kissed Jessica's cheek and went to make preparations.

Jessica went to take her leave, Daemon had other plans. "You're not going."

"And what do you suppose we do Daemon? Rhaenyra is expecting us all to be in attendance."

"Feign ill." A kiss on her shoulder. "Express your distain for court." A kiss on her neck. "You're ever growing concern for your young nephew's safety." A kiss on her lips.

Jessica turned into Daemon's embrace, melting into his touch.

Daemon pulled away a few moments later. "They'll take you. Alicent and her pups won't let you go. And I cannot, will not risk losing you."

"I can't believe he said that." Rhaenyra turned towards Jessica. She was going through several of her older dresses for this trip to King's Landing.

"Yeah well it's Daemon. What do you expect." Jessica was sitting on the edge of her bed.

"Well in the end it's my call. I need you at court with me. And Father should have the opportunity to meet the boys."

Rhaenyra sighed and came over sitting next to her sister. "I know you don't want to face Alicent. If the situation wasn't so dire I would absolutely let you stay here with the boys. But I need all the support I can get."

Jessica sighed, eyes concentrating on the floor.

"I need you to convince Daemon that it is absolutely safe for you to return to court."

Jessica looked up at her sister. "And pray tell me, how do you expect me to do that?"

"You're his world. Turn up the charm. Bed him if that's what it takes. But you are the only one who can sway his decisions."

"Trust me, I do not hold that kind of power over Daemon Targaryen."

"You know," Rhaenyra smiled, "I am quite surprised that you and Daemon haven't had a child of your own yet."

Jessica smiled and shook her head. "We're more careful when it comes to that."

Rhaenyra pursed her lips. "I don't see why, you would make a wonderful mother."

"I drink enough Moon Tea, I'm not quite ready to bring a child into this world, and Daemon respects that decision."

"How much Moon Tea?"

"Once a month." Jessica shrugged.

Rhaenyra sighed and walked away. She returned a few moments later with a necklace box in hand.

Jessica opened it and smiled. "Valyrian Steel."

"Daemon gifted me that necklace the day he gifted you your dragon egg. It's high time I passed it down to you."

"Thank you Nyra."

Rhaenyra smiled holding her sister close. "We're all going to need each other here in the next few days. Remember Sweet Girl, we are stronger together."