Luck Runs Out

Daemon did not leave Jessica's chambers unless it was absolutely necessary. The first night was rocky. Neither Rhaenyra nor Daemon slept. But nonetheless, Jessica survived the first night.

The Maesters kept her heavily under Milk of the Poppy. She would open her eyes now and then, but never acknowledging anyone.

Rhaenyra stayed at Jessica's side until her labors became to intense, then was sequestered away to her own.

Light was flooding in, the waves could be heard crashing on the rocks below.

Pain. That was the first thing Jessica could grasp onto. Pain that radiated everywhere and nowhere all at once.

She opened her eyes.

She was in a postered bed. Pillows and blankets piled around her. Jessica groaned and sat herself up.

The doors opened, Jessica craned her neck to her visitor.

Whatever Baela had in her hands, she dropped and rushed to the bed. She wrapped her arms around Jessica. "Thank the Gods."

Jessica held her niece tightly.

As soon as she let go she felt the bed dip. Luke had climbed up, hugging Jessica tightly and kissing her face. Rhaena settled on the other side, cuddling close.

Jessica looked up. Jace had joined Baela. Jace gently cupped her cheek and leaned down, kissing her other one.

Jessica sighed and dared ask. "How has he been?"

The identical looks on all their faces was answer enough. "That well. Lovely. Where are they?"

Jace and Baela shared a look. Balea shot a look to Rhaena and she was quite.

Luke blurted out before Jace could shut him up. "Otto landed at Dragonstone."

Jessica sighed. "Alright."

She tossed off the blanket and detached Rhaena and Luke. "Rhaena dear, fetch me my robe."

Rhaena was up and over to the chair.

Jace gently held her shoulders. "Jessica you need to be in bed. Let mother deal with this."

Jessica smiled taking the robe from Rhaena. Jessica stood. It took effort and she was slightly winded. But nevertheless, she stood.

Jessica secured the robe around her, slipped her slippers on her feet and made her way to the door.

Jace blocked the doorway. "Jessie...please...."

Jessica smiled reaching up and gently patted his cheek, she took her leave.

That walk. That took way more effort than Jessica anticipated. And the stairs. God those fucking stairs.

"We're turning around." Jace stopped them halfway down. "Jessica is in no condition to be out of bed."

Jessica held her ground. "If I don't go down, blood will be shed on Dragonstone."

Jessica took Baela's arm, Luke wrapped his arms around her waist and continued down.

There was already a showdown by the time Jessica saw people along Dragonstone's wall. Heads turned toward her but no one dared to speak. Rhaenyra and Daemon were at the front.

Otto looked to Rhaenyra. "I come at the behest of the Dowager Queen Alicent, mother of King Aegon, Second of His Name, Lord and Protector of the Seven Kingdoms. Princess Rhaenyra."

Rhaenyra narrowed her eyes. "Its Queen Rhaenyra now. And you are all traitors to the realm."

Otto closed his eyes. "King Aegon Targaryen, Second of His Name...in his wisdom and his desire for peace, is offering terms."