The Storm's End

Jessica grew stronger each and everyday. The bruises were nearly gone, most of the aches and pains dulled by just a little Milk of the Poppy. The stitches had been removed and was left with a scar.

Daemon had kept her at his side whenever possible. If she was past his outstretched arm, then Daemon considered her to far away. And once Jessica had begun to feel better it didn't take long for her and Daemon to resume their normal...nightly activities.

Currently, Jessica was nestled against Daemon's side, listening to the council strategize.

Daemon twirled a strand of her hair in his fingers. "We have 30 knights, a hundred crossbowmen, and 300 men-at-arms. Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend, but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired. We have sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch."

Rhaenyra nodded in agreement. "I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak to the numbers. We already have declarations from Celtigar and Staunton, Massey, Darklyn, Bar Emmon. My lady mother was an Arryn. The Vale will not turn cloak against their own kin."

One of the guards spoke up. "What of Storm's End and Winterfell?"

Jessica smiled, "there has never been a Stark who forgot an oath. And The Paramount of the North and I are on...exceptionally good terms. I could fly up to Winterfell and treat with Lord Cregan myself."

Daemon nuzzled against her temple. "You're hardly well enough to travel, My Love."

Jessica bit her lip. She was obviously well enough for what Daemon did to her last night.

Jessica sighed and  turned to meet Daemon's gaze. He smiled at her, placing a sweet, chaste kiss on her lips.

Rhaenyra sighed and dismissed everyone but Jessica from the room.

Rhaenyra paced by the fire. "If you could take the Iron Throne without putting Otto Hightower's head on a spike, would you?"

Daemon sighed, "are you not angry?"

Rhaenyra scoffed. "I should declare war because I'm angry?"

"No." Daemon turned to her. "Because it's your duty as Queen to crush rebellion."

Rhaenyra looked at Jessica. "My oath reaches beyond our own personal ambition."

The realization hit Jessica. "The Song of Ice and Fire..."

Rhaenyra smiled sweetly at her. "You were only four years old when Father told us."

Daemon looked between the two of them. "What?"

Rhaenyra looked at Daemon. "The coming war against the darkness in the North. The Conqueror's Dream. Viserys shared it with me and Jesscareya when he named me heir."

Rhaenyra sighed. "Sending Jessica to treat with Lord Cregan Stark is not a bad idea. As she said they are on excellent terms, and Jessica wouldn't be a week away if she took Star-"

Daemon hand suddenly put Jessica behind him protectively, his hand clasping around Rhaenyra's throat. "My brother... was a slave to his omens and portents. Anything to make his feckless reign appear to have purpose. Dreams didn't make us kings. Dragons did."

Daemon looked to Jessica. "Jesscareya is not well enough for travel, she's remaining here...on Dragonstone, under my watch."

"He never told you...did he?" Jessica reached out and took his hand.

Daemon sighed, trucking a strand of hair behind her ear. His kissed her cheek before nestling her under his arm and leading her out of the room.

Rhaenys and Corlys returned a few weeks later and House Velaryon declared for Rhaenyra. It was also decided that Jace and Luke would go treat with Winterfell and Storm's End.