After Dark

Jessica sat up in bed. Daemon was sound asleep next to her. She wanted to make sure he wouldn't stir when she rose.

He was rougher than normal tonight, Jessica realized. All the stressors of court seemed to boil over. But to be fair, she had also been more desperate and needy. Tight wasn't tight enough, close wasn't close enough. And Daemon was more than happy to oblige to her every demand.

She gently rubbed her wrists. She'd bruise tomorrow of that she was sure. And Aemond would be pissed.

Speaking of Aemond, she knew he'd be wondering about her whereabouts. And the last thing she needed was Aemond to come looking for her. So she carefully rose and quietly slipped on her night dress. She tossed her robe over it and headed out.

Aemond's chambers had always been close to hers ever since they were children. It wasn't impossible to find. She stopped before turning the final corner. She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes.

Her heart shouldn't be racing, her face shouldn't feel flushed. This was Aemond after all. They had shared a bed for years. Aemond. Who would start on his own side, and would be curled on her chest by morning. Aemond. Who would hold her hand night after night as they fell asleep.

Jessica straightened up and turned the corner. She saw the door to Aemond's chamber opening and Aemond stepping out into the hall. He huffed, his hands going behind his back. Once he turned in Jessica's direction, Aemond stopped.

Both of them stared at each other, and nerves caught Jessica once again. She folded her arms and held her place.

"Hm." Aemond smirked. He could play this game as well as she could. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way, My Love. And it's already much later than I would like it to be."

Jessica cocked her head to the side, biting the inside of her cheek.

That smile never left his face. He pulled one hand out from behind his back and held it out to her, exactly how Daemon had done in the dining hall.

Jessica looked from Aemond's hand to his face. But that one gesture was an automatic reaction for Jessica, and her feet were already taking her to Aemond before her mind had finished its own debate. She took his hand and settled into his side.

Aemond turned and kissed her temple, before leading her inside her chambers.

"I did tell you that there we wouldn't be having any more shameful accidents."

Jessica scoffed and crossed her arms. "You want to tell Daemon Targaryen who he can and cannot bed then be my guest, Aemond."

Aegon handed her a glass of wine before settling the couch and studying her. "Believe you me, I wanted to take you out of that dining hall. I would have carried you out if it came down to the only option. If he hadn't stopped me."

Jessica shook her head. "I was not in any danger."

"Only the danger of Daemon Targaryen smothering you." Aemond rose. Each stept he took was cold, calculating. Jessica backed up until she hit a wall.

Aemond's hand pinned her in place. Still she did not cower in fear. She drew herself tall as Aemond's face was just inches from her own.

Aemond sighed. "That marriage announcement was supposed to be much more enjoyable than it was."

Jessica dropped her gaze. "What did you expect? As soon as you asked Father, I'd smile like a foolish young maiden, run into your waiting arms and never let go."

Aemond's hand caught her chin, tilting it up so she kept his gaze. "Yes, sweetling." Aemond's nose brushed her cheek. "To all the above."

Jessica sighed and pulled away from Aemond going to stand by the fire.

He sighed, and leaned on the chair. "He's going to make our engagement parade look like a funeral procession. And I do not intend to drag you down the aisle, Jessica."

Jessica glanced over to Aemond before sitting down. She let her elbows rest on her legs and her chin rest on her hands.

"Love this may surprise you but I don't spend all my time thinking about ways to make you miserable."

"No?" Jessica sat up, turning toward her betrothed. Her arm rested on the back of the couch. "Just spring a marriage proposal without even talking to me about it first."

Aemond smirked. He reached out and twisted a strand of hair around his fingers. "You make me sound like a villain."

Jessica scoffed, turning her head away from him.

Aemond's finger gently brushed her cheek. "Gods forbid that I want you happy here Jessica. That I want you to be happy with me. Not having to live in Daemon Targaryen's shadow."

Jessica stood. "What a hard lesson it must be for you, that you can't have everything you want."

"Want?" Aemond sneered and stood. He was a head taller than Jessica now. Aemond took her face in both her hands. "Want is for children. If this were want I'd have demanded that we married years ago, and believe me, I'd have been more persistent than Aegon ever was. And once I had you, I would have kept you here at my side, in my bed. I'd have kept you safe. So want? No Jessica. This, this is need."

Aemond leaned down and pressed his forehead to her. "That shouldn't have been our first kiss either..."

"...Aemond..."

He glanced up at her. "Then tell me to stop. Tell me to leave you alone, Jessica and I will."

He pulled back just enough so that the tips of their noses touched. "But I know you won't. You like playing this game as much as I do."

Jessica looked at him. Aemond had given her one last chance.

She didn't stop him.

She had expected the kiss to be hard and forceful. Dominating and powerful.

She had expected the possessiveness of Daemon.

So Jessica was caught off guard when it was soft and gentle. There was a give and take between the two of them. And as things began to become heater, Aemond pulled away.

Jessica let out a whimper.

Aemond chucked and gave her one more, sweet and chaste. "I promise you there is more sweetling. But the hour is late and you need sleep."