27.

total words 991

lantern rite was

lantern rite was... interesting.

it went surprisingly quick. before we knew it, it was the last night of our trip to liyue.

i put on my best outfit, and so did scaramouche.

however, this time, we went out alone.

"come, come!! let's go buy a xiao lantern quick." i urged him to hurry as for some reason he was deciding to walk slowly today.

it was almost time for everyone to release their lanterns, and we hadn't even bought our own.

"do we have to do this? it seems kinda... i don't know, pointless." he groaned. i guess he didn't like the idea of it.

"pointless? how?" i asked, my eyes full of confusion. this was supposed to be an exciting moment.

"i mean... everyone's gonna release one. there's already gonna be a lot. so why do we have to join?" there it was. his stupid excuses.

"it's an important memory." i squeezed his hand, "now come."

he stared at me for a few seconds before sighing, "you— ugh... fine. people these days... finding all sorts of ways to pollute the planet... throwing glowing trash into the sea..."

we walked through the illuminated streets that were bustling with people.

i had to hold onto him tightly to make sure i didn't lose him. that wouldn't be good...

he'd be searching for me like a child that lost his mother in a supermarket. (i have trauma from that)

i approached a stand that sold xiao lanterns. there was an old lady standing there.

"hii!!" i waved enthusiastically, "can we buy a two xiao lanterns please?"

she nodded and slowly bent down to reach for two lanterns. i gave her some mora and she gave me a smile of approval, "happy lantern rite, you two."

"you too!" i handed scaramouche a lantern.

he held it in his hands like it was the most precious thing in the world, watching as it glowed in his hands.

he seemed mesmerised.

"you okay?" i snickered as his eyes sparkled at the sight.