Chapter 9: A Familiar Face

"Wonder how Mendo's getting on after getting dragged away yesterday? Hope he's not having too much of a bad time." You spoke out loud expecting an answer from Lum, but when you looked to your side you found no Lum floating beside you or holding your arm.

"Ah yeah....she's in her UFO. She said she'll turn up soon though." You sighed and kept on walking.

Having grown so used to having her glued to your side, it felt weird being on your own again. It bothered you a little, but not too much.

"Coming to think of it, Ataru did follow them both. Haven't seen him since then though. Guarantee he's caused some trouble." You muttered just as you turned the corner and came up to the front gate of the school.

"Y/N-San!!!" You looked up and saw Shinobu with her friends, waving at you.

You waved back and smiled at her as you walked past but were stopped when you felt her hand gently rest on your shoulder.

"How are you? Where's Lum? I'm surprised she's not with you!" She spoke, smiling widely.

"Yeah she's back at her UFO. I think she might be joining me later on but I'm not sure when. It's a little weird not walking here with her, but not the end of the world." You responded.

"I see. Have you seen Mendo or Ataru since yesterday?" The girl asked prompting you to shake your head.

"Nope. Haven't seen them at all. Kurama just dragged Mendo off and I believe Ataru followed them." You shrugged. "You know what he's like."

"I do yes. Unfortunately...." Shinobu said through gritted teeth.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have brought it up again. You know I really wanted you both to work out. But at the end of the day....he is just an idiot. And no one can change that." You shrugged again as Shinobu chuckled lightly and nodded.

"You're not wrong there." Her smile grew and she stared at you for a few moments before you took her hand.

"Come on. We should get to class." You slowly and gently dragged her along as she looked at your hands and blushed.

"All this time later I've now realised how much better it would've been if I was with Y/N instead of that idiot....seems like I've missed my chance though...." She thought to herself. Her expressions saddened a little before it lit up again.

"Although....maybe there's an off chance that I'd be able to share....I gotta look into this." Her smile soon returned as she picked up her pace and walked beside you, hand in hand.

Once inside you found it to be quite busy which was expected, however there was a high concentration of students around the entrance to the nurses office.

All of them boys.

"What in the hell is going on here? Why are all the boys crowded around the door to the nurses office?" You asked as you approached.

"Y/N! I assume you haven't heard the big news!" One of the boys said in response to your questions.

"Huh? There's big news? What have I missed?" You asked.

"There's a new school nurse! And she's an absolute hottie!" He said while drooling and his eyes sparkled.

"Really? Cool." You shrugged and carried on walking past, not wanting to pay much attention to the whole situation.

However as you walked past, through the corner of your eye you looked into the open door to the office and caught a glimpse of the new nurse.

It caused you to back-peddle so you could get a second look to confirm what you had seen.

"Sakura?" You tilted your head in confusion.

"You've seen this woman before Y/N-San?" Shinobu asked, still holding onto your hand.

"Yeah I have....me and Ataru ran into her a couple weeks back. She's a shrine maiden. Wonder what she's doing here." You took a step inside of the office.

As you did, she turned her head around to face you. A small smile spreading across her face as she did so.

"Well isn't this a pleasant surprise? I had no idea you went to school here." She said.

"I had no idea you'd be up for a job as a school nurse. What made you take this job out of all of them? You do realise this place is....a bit crazy." You said while glancing around.

Already, all of the boys that had gathered were glaring at you. Some with jealousy and others in disbelief.

"Yes I am already aware of that." Sakura sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Most of the boys here are....less than tolerable. That's me being kind."

"Tell me about it." Shinobu rolled her eyes and huffed again.

"Mhm. Say, where is your friend? The boy you were with when we met." Sakura asked curiously.

"Oh Ataru? I don't really have a clue to be honest. I haven't seen him since yesterday." You shrugged.

You knew that Ataru would be all over Sakura when he eventually showed up and realised that she was here.

However at the same time, you remembered how easily she was able to deal with his advances. So there was no need for you to be worried about her.

"I see. Well it's good that I know he will turn up eventually. Just when I thought I wouldn't see him again...." She groaned.

"Ah he's not that hard to deal with! Anyway after a while, some new girl will enter his life and take his attention away from you. I know how it feels." Shinobu said, getting a little bit sad as she talked about it.

But you were quick to get her to cheer up by squeezing her hand and smiling at her.

"Anyway, I hope you do enjoy your job somewhat while you're here Miss Sakura. Even if some of the boys turn out to be....desperate." You smiled awkwardly.

"Thank you. Do not worry about me, I can handle myself. I shall see you later." She smiled and turned herself around in her chair as you walked out of the room.

"How do you do it L/N?! Why is it that every girl in this school talks to you so sweetly! Even our new nurse who's just arrived?! How do you even know her in the first place?!" A boy tried getting in front of you, but you just pushed him out of the way and kept walking.

"None of your business." You said as you left everyone in the hallway, taking Shinobu with you to class.

"Don't let what Ataru did to you get to you too much. You are an amazing person and he's fumbled such a great opportunity with you." You said to her as you walked along, causing her to blush.

"He won't ever get a chance like that again. Promise me that you'll find someone who will actually appreciate you." You looked at her and she blushed more.

"I-I will." She said.

"I already have...." She thought to herself, her mind already made up.

She might've had a crush on Mendo for a short while, but it had helped her realise who she really liked.

And they had been there for her, all of the time. Now she was going to finally appreciate it more....

[To Be Continued]